Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please ID White Polyantha or ? ... 5 photos

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 2:15

This little rose is growing at the home of a friend's recently deceased father. It's had no extra water or care for years and is hanging in there in 101 degree heat surrounded by sidewalks. I was thinking of taking some cuttings in the fall and wondered what I might be getting. It has some fragrance, but is hard to say how much in the heat of this San Antonio, TX afternoon. Photos taken today.

Flower clusters ...

Flowers and buds ...

Leaves ...

Thorns ...

Bush

The house where it is growing is at least 50 years old, but who knows when this rose was planted. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please ID White Polyantha or ? ... 5 photos

It looks like Summer Snow.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Snow on HMF

o
RE: Please ID White Polyantha or ? ... 5 photos

Thank you Connie for a quick reply! The flowers, and what I can see of the leaves, DO look like Summer Snow, unless Summer Snow is truly thornless as one report on HMF says.

I don't know how popular a rose Summer Snow has been, but maybe someone here grows it and can verify whether it is thornless.

The old Vintage Garden catalog that I have doesn't say anything about Summer Snow or its thought-to-be-relatives Echo, Tausendschon, etc. being thornless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another picture of Summer Snow - Countryside Roses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here