Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gilda77_gw

Grandma's Pink Rose

gilda77
13 years ago

Hello: A couple of years ago I had to sell off part of my garden space to someone who wanted to build a house on the lot. I tried very hard to save as many of the plants and shrubs that I could, including a thirteen-foot cactus (which is doing well). Unfortunately some of the oldest plants did not survive the transplanting, including an old pink rose that my grandmother had planted probably over 50 years ago. I would like to replace this rose in my remaining garden space, if possible, but I don't know the name. Would someone please help me to id this rose? I'm sorry I don't have photos of the whole plant. One characteristic I remember was that the roses used to droop and they reminded me a little of peonies. I have uploaded two photos to the following URLs:

http://www.gildasattic.com/oldpinkrose1.jpg

http://www.gildasattic.com/oldpinkrose2.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated.

All the best,

Gilda

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• gilda77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello again: After some intensive searching online, I think the color and shape of my Grandma's pink rose most closely resembles the hybrid tea Grace Darling:

http://www.pbase.com/emmiegray/image/30555476

Does anybody know where I can buy this beautiful rose?

Gilda

Here is a link that might be useful: Grace Darling

• petaloid
    13 years ago

I will put a link below to the HelpMeFind listing for that rose.
    There are more pictures on the "Photos" tab and the "Buy From" tab lists several possible sources:

• gilda77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks, petaloid, for the HelpMeFind listing. I was able to order a 3x3x6" band of Grace Darling from Rogue Valley Roses. I also ordered a pretty yellow rose called Golden Gate (the name appealed to me because I'm in San Francisco). The larger sizes were out of stock. I suppose it will take years to see blooms but I'm still happy to find these on their own roots. My grandma's pink rose didn't seem to have quite as many petals as some of the Grace Darling photos I viewed, but the color, height, upright growth and profile view seem to match.

• gilda77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks, petaloid, for the HelpMeFind listing. I was able to order a 3x3x6" band of Grace Darling from Rogue Valley Roses. I also ordered a pretty yellow rose called Golden Gate (the name appealed to me because I'm in San Francisco). The larger sizes were out of stock. I suppose it will take years to see blooms but I'm still happy to find these on their own roots. My grandma's pink rose didn't seem to have quite as many petals as some of the Grace Darling photos I viewed, but the color, height, upright growth and profile view seem to match.

• hartwood
    13 years ago

As soon as I saw your photos, I said "Radiance". I'll bet that's your ID.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Radiance on HMF

• gilda77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, Connie, for your help. There's quite a similarity, but the unknown rose seems a little pinker on the edges while Radiance is darker toward the center. I found two more photos of my grandma's pink rose, lying in the birdbath after being almost strangled by a rampaging morning glory. These photos give a better idea of the color and they also show the stem, leaves and buds:

http://www.gildasattic.com/oldrose3.jpg

http://www.gildasattic.com/oldrose4.jpg

Another clue is the poor little rose was not pampered much and yet survived for decades, which is more consistent with Radiance than with Grace Darling, as the latter is supposed to be high maintenance. I'm going to order Radiance, too, because it is such a lovely rose.

Gilda

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kstrong
    13 years ago

I'm thinking that's Radiance too. Take a look at the pictures on the site linked below -- they are better than what HMF has on this rose. It's the smooth foliage in your 4th picture that I think gives away this id. Radiance can vary in bloom color quite a bit. There is a red sport of it called (surprise, surprise) Red Radiance, and I grow a striped sport of it called Careless Love that occasionally throws a solid pink bloom that looks just like yours. So you can't really go by the color of the bloom -- Radiance is a rose that likes to mix it up, colorwise. There's a whole list of about a dozen known sports of Radiance in the "comments" section of HMF under "Radiance." Everything from white to red (but red back then would be called dark pink now -- see Red Radiance on HMF).

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: www.vintagebloomers.com on Radiance -- 10 pics

• gilda77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you very much, Kathy, for the info about color variations. Radiance could very well be it. I think Duchesse de Brabant aka Comtesse de Labarthe also comes close, especially since the blooms tend to droop like my grandma's pink rose. The petals darken toward the edges and the leaves look very similar in the photo on the link below. At any rate, I can't go wrong with any of these beautiful old-fashioned roses.

Gilda

Here is a link that might be useful: Duchesse de Brabante

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

So far the only picture linked to here that looks like it is that last one.