Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose variety in American Beauty film

Posted by Saintin Brisbane (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 05 at 7:37

Hi,

I saw American Beauty again this weekend and was wondering what variety of red rose was used in the film. It looked like a hybrid tea and it didn't seem to grow too tall, only 1.2m (4 feet) I'm guessing, by the fence. It was a very clear intense red too.

Thanks to anyone who can satiate my curiosity as I would love to grow this rose!

Corey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose variety in American Beauty film

Fake silk ones.

o

hee hee... reminds me of when I was watching the show on PBS "Mystery" when they were doing the Cadfael series. One of the episodes is called "the Rose Rent", which is quite a good one. Oh but the horror of it when I realized that the rose bush was a VERY fake one... plastic and fabric all. Sigh. Once spotted it is hard to ignore, and plastic never looks good in a medieval context.

Forgive my ignorance, since I am more an antique rose person than a HT person, but isn't the rose in American Beauty supposed to be the rose "American Beauty"?

o

• Posted by xeney z9, Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 13:00

No, the real American Beauty is a deep pink hybrid perpetual. The roses in the film were deep red hybrid teas, but I also think they were probably silk. Here is a photo of Annette Bening with the roses. I think it looks a little like Ingrid Bergman but I think they are fake. The roses used in the petal scenes, and the single stem in the promo shots, are probably all some florist variety (if they aren't also silk).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here