Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniele337

Unidentified rose taking over my yard-help!

daniele337
16 years ago

We just moved into an old colonial house and there are these two rose bushes that are extremely dense, thorny, crawled up the sides of my house over 8ft. They have no smell but are very pretty. please help because we are not rose people and are debating whether to keep.....

Image link:

Comments (13)

• michaelg
    16 years ago

If you would like advice on managing the roses, it would help to have a wider shot showing how they grow and how they relate to the facade. Also maybe a side view. For identification, focused closeups of the bloom in different stages if possible. How wide are the flowers? Is the color consistent or changing?

From the glossy foliage and scentless August bloom, it is probably a modern shrub or climber. It seems to be disease resistant in that many roses would be defoliated by this late in the season. Has it built up to 8' by shorter lateral shoots that jog off a previous shoot (shrub rose), or does it make canes that run 8' without showing a history of stopping and throwing lateral shoots (climbing rose)? I don't quite know how to phrase that, but the difference is obvious if you examine a cane from the ground to the top.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Also tell us if it is fragrant. I had a guess, but I know I'm wrong, so I'll shut up. Michael's right, there isn't much that grows here in NJ that looks that good without treatment this time of year. Looks like a keeper to me whatever it is. In this case, more info is much better, as there are a lot of dark pink full roses out there, and the devil is in the details. Thanks.

• daniele337
    Original Author
    16 years ago

First, thank you for responding so quickly and whatever continued help you can provide. Let me be more detailed, the house we purchased is rich in history-it turned 100 in May. I absolutely ADORE my garden and planting I just never was a rose person. We were blessed that the lady before us loved all kinds of flowers I swear to you the spring time, to our surprise, looked like the Botanical Gardens! The previous tenant is still alive (at 100 years old!) and she has forgotten the names herself but assured me that her sisters and her planted them when they were very young. So I will assume they are old roses, as a matter of fact I know they are b/c people have had such a hard time identifying them which is how I was referred to your sight. The are 8 foot canes, very straight up and hardy. We have trained them with great care to finally grow straight up against the house-I don't know what we'll do when they get too tall b/c they are currently past the first floor. This photo was taken in JUNE so they are not in bloom now. They do not have any scent. They are very thorny. They grown very rapidly and basically "take over" I will attach another picture for further review. Thanks!

• michaelg
    16 years ago

Holy smoke, what a gorgeous flower! The flat form with many petals is called a rosette, and when the petals arrange themselves in four lobes it is called quartering. Both are common in old roses.

My guess of modern was based partly on the assumption of repeat bloom. The bloom color, stiff canes, and plant vigor might suggest a bourbon rose, but I never heard of a scentless or disease-resistant bourbon. With the shiny foliage, it might be a climber that was bred in the early 20th century.

I hope you will decide to keep at least one of these roses. It seems they belong with the house, and they are very beautiful. A few suggestions. (1) Get welder's gauntlets at Lowe's/HD, or order rose gauntlets online. They will make an amazing difference in your ability to deal with your thorny monsters. (2) You can remove whole canes at the base. Right after blooming is the best time to do that, to maximize the bloom. If you want to maintain a particular volume, remove 1/3 of the canes each year, choosing the ones that look oldest. (3) If you are training the canes against the house, spread them out in a fan. This will increase the amount of bloom and make tending easier by reducing height. (4) When lateral shoots come off the fanned canes and grow upward, just cut them back any time after June blooming. (5) If the roses are once-bloomers (not repeaters), don't water them. They should be fine without it and will grow less rampantly. Fertilize only once a year in April, or don't fertilize if you have decent soil and the blooming holds up.

More on identification. How healthy is the foliage in August? Please estimate the diameter of the flowers. Take a closeup picture of a typical leaf and stem section with thorns. It needs to be focused and placed against a simple, contrasting background.

Here is a link that might be useful: One of 2 other posts

• RosariumRob
    16 years ago

Wild guess: Chevy Chase?

Rob

• daniele337
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Michael! Ok so I looked up all of my reply postings and none of them are the roses EXCEPT I am teetering on the Cramoisi and Catherine Guillot. The flowers in bloom are petite a little over an inch if that and they come in clusters. The thorns are tiny but merciless. They are not bright red. Oops I have been watering them-no wonder why they are growing. I have only fertilized once. there are some brown spots now and the leaves seem to be browning only slightly it seems to be losing it's rigor for the Fall(not dying) but settling down.I had been cutting back anyhow to train them to grow up the house with the trellis' we purchased. I will work on another picture and THANK YOU so much!

• daniele337
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello,
    forget the Cramoisi Superior b/c my flowers do not have any scent if at all. Also the Catherine Guillot is too big now that I have looked at some better pics online.
    My roses also dry very nicely and tiny they are hanging in bunches throughout my house.

• michaelg
    16 years ago

If the flowers are that small, it is a rambler. They were a new and popular group in the early 20th century. Rob's guess of Chevy Chase is a good one, although it was introduced in 1949. The former resident may misremember when it was planted. Other old red ramblers are Crimson Rambler (which has a bit of white at the base of petals) and Excelsa. You can look them up at the site below and see numerous pictures. Look at the base of the leaf stem. The flanges there are called stipules. Multiflora ramblers have fringe on the stipules. (I'm not sure about Chevy Chase, but the other two do.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Chevy Chase.

• daniele337
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michael, you were right! It is a Crimson Rambler aka Turner's Crimson Rambler(1893) I feel like I have solved a great mystery sort of the CSI of roses, with you as my trusty psyhic! Seriously, thank you and to everyone else with their assistance since I now know what it is I will be able to care for it properly and will post pictures of it next time it is in full bloom!

P.S. I also have another smaller one on the other side of the house that is very scented but not as hardy I do not have any pics of it I'll have to wait until next summer....

• neroseman
    16 years ago

Your rose is NOT 'Crimson Rambler'(which doesn't have glossy foliage), nor is it 'Chevy Chase'.

• daniele337
    Original Author
    16 years ago

First, this picture does my roses no justice at all. Second, the leaves are not glossy. Because I am not familiar w/roses to me they looked glossy however after reviewing and searching other roses they are not glossy at all, they also have no scent, are over 15 feet at present and I also purchased a specific book this weekend about the Turner's Crimson Rambler which confirmed my identification. PLUS my best source was the original owner(who is 100) and upon hearing the name her eyes immediately lit up after months of speculation, "I believe that's it" was what she said, so for me I am satisfied. But if you are so sure it's not, please then tell me what you think it is.

• neroseman
    16 years ago

OK, now it sounds a lot more like 'Crimson Rambler' :)

• michaelg
    16 years ago

I'm the one who introduced the red herring of shiny foliage, but the first photo looked that way.