Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_colospgs

I love these roses but have no clue as to name

Lynn_ColoSpgs
9 years ago

About 4 years ago, I purchased these 3 roses from Lowes for $5 apiece. I wanted to see what would grow here (lifelong East Coaster) before hitting the local nursery. They didn't name the cultivar, only had a tag that said "Landscaping Rose". Well, it turns out that I fell in love with them and would like to purchase more for a new bed that I will be putting in next Spring. They are highly fragranced - almost identical to my Gertrude Jekylls, and have an arching habit. They are self deadheading with a massive first bloom in late May and a fairly sparse second bloom beginning now in August. They bloom in clusters. I have several pictures, this one of a single flower.

Comments (15)

• Lynn_ColoSpgs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and the blooms are about 2.5" in diameter. This next picture is of a cluster of buds.

• Lynn_ColoSpgs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This picture is a close up of the leaves. I have pictures of the base and the entire group, if need be.

• Lynn_ColoSpgs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had originally thought Therese Bugnet, and now I believe that's correct. The reason I wasn't completely sure was the fact that the descriptions I have read say that they bloom continuously. I have found that people in this area describe the blooming habit that I experience.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I have a couple of different OGRs that are described as repeaters. I've found in my short season they only bloom once for me.

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    9 years ago

Every time I see Therese Bugnet at various gardens around here this summer, it's not blooming.

• User
    9 years ago

Almost certainly 'Therese Bugnet'.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

I just 'found' this growing in one of the neglected pots...went looking for something very fragrant. It is very small (only about 10" tall), pot was given to me with some other plants in it & the rose had to be in it too.

I hope you don't mind me posting on this thread, photo just looks the same.

Rina

• User
    9 years ago

Rina,
    The foliage gives far more clues as to its identity than a close-cropped photo of the bloom does ;-)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Sorry, I don't know anything about roses so didn't think that photo of leaves would help.
    Here is the photo - is that good enough for ID?
    It looks to me that they are shorter & rounder than OP's - or is it my imagination?

TIA.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 16:11

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

The photo of the leaves is helpful; I still can't give a good guess as to the ID of the second rose. Do you have pictures of buds, prickles, possible hips, and can you tell us about scent, rebloom, and other details? The more information the better (though you may not be able to say much about a small plant).
    I agree it's a different variety than your first rose, which also to me looks like 'Therese Bugnet'.
    Melissa

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Melissa

Thank you very much f following up.
    I don't have any more photos right now, I'll see tomorrow if there is anything else to photo (it's too dark now).
    Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Melissa kindly followed on my ID question - I have few more photos in case they help...

Close-up of stem & thorns.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

The bloom is finished, this is all that remains right now.

(The line in the middle of the photo is camera's fault!)

This post was edited by rina_ on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 20:23

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

After trying to get rid of lots of weeds in the pot I found that it must have been a large plant - here is woody 'base' that shoots (just 2) grew out of.

Thanks again for trying to help. If not enough info, maybe I'll try in spring again.
    Rina

• thelarkascending
    9 years ago

Do you suppose this is a B.R. Cant? I have a friend who has one, and I haven't seen it many times, but it looks similar to this. I know that this variety is common, at least in my area.