Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milieu_serene

Please help me identify this 'old' rose my Granddaddy planted

milieu_serene
14 years ago

The rose was planted by my Granddaddy Mosley (Mother's father) many years prior to his death in 1982. While I don't remember when, I saw the rose many times while growing up. It was planted in an old tire beside the house. It didn't receive much sun in it's later years. I spoke to my Mother this morning, she believes Granddaddy planted it between 1950 and 1955.

After his death, the rose received little or no care.

In the spring of 2008 my mother's friend, Preston, took the only green shoots off the old stalk and was successful in rooting them in water. He planted the 2 which survived in front of my Mother's old flower bed.

I took some cuttings from them this spring and have 2 surviving in pots right now.

Below are pictures of this rose. Please help me identify it. As I have said, it is a very resilient rose and one I hope to propagate and distribute among my family.

Meet Rosa Lee and Durham -- My Grandmother and Granddaddy (that is what we call these roses.

{{gwi:321426}}

Rosa Lee is a bit puny

{{gwi:321427}}

Rosa Lee's bloom

{{gwi:321428}}

This is Durham - blooming more than Rosa Lee and few yellow leaves

{{gwi:321429}}

Close-up of Durham

{{gwi:321431}}

Durham blooms and buds

{{gwi:321433}}

ingrid_vc and petaloid postulated this may be a President Herbert Hoover and suggested I follow-up on HelpMeFind. I appreciate their assistance. They also suggested it may be Talisman, Signora and Sutter's Gold. After comparing the pictures (I can't see the roses right now as they are 200 miles from me), I can't tell about the coloration BUT seems to me the "real thing" is much more pink. My color seeing abilities are not the greatest but I think they are solid pink.

I thought this might be the best forum to post in --- didn't see it until I had already posted in the main forum.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville