Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big, Fat Pink Rose??? Name(s) pls!

Posted by amelie325 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 17:46

Hi all!
There is a lovely little rose garden located in a nearby park--with no labels! Argh! So, I took cuttings of this beautiful, fat, totally packed with petals rose (1 rooted...but 1 is enough, for this year :) ). Some info: It balls like crazy! And with this heavy rainy weather, I can't seem to get a good pic. Finally went back last week and found some that weren't balled to hell. It smells lovely! Not heavy, though. No musk smell, rather a medium old rose? (So subjective, I know!). Moderate, I'd say...but again that could be influenced by the weather. Here are some pics: (the ones with white background are from a few days ago, the others from about 3 weeks ago). The flower is nearly as "deep" as it is wide! When buds, they are very fat. And when I finally saw one mostly open, it was a good 3-4" wide. Also, petal count for the one on the white background is over 70 :) Of course, I had an exact number, but in my fervor to photograph the petals, I forgot. As for height, it seems to be regularly pruned, the forth pic down is about head height for me (I'm 5'7") and about half that wide...more of a grandiflora shape?

photo IMG_1045_zps9bf6e23f.jpg
 photo IMG_1999_zpsecf325c6.jpg photo IMG_1992_zps297451b2.jpg
 photo IMG_1995_zps2b864989.jpg
 photo IMG_1996_zps74441dc2.jpg
 photo IMG_1990_zps3f69550a.jpg
 photo IMG_1043_zps3827fd52.jpg
 photo IMG_1039_zps4bb7aa52.jpg

Natural light:
 photo null_zps4558c2ec.jpg
Bathroom light:
 photo null_zps97068a9f.jpg
 photo null_zpsdd4c040d.jpg
 photo null_zps73514dbd.jpg

I feel like what it is is staring me right in the face, I'm just to close to figure it out, lol!

This post was edited by amelie325 on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 12:43

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big, Fat Pink Rose??? Name(s) pls!

The balled blooms and pics remind me of Auguste Renoir.

Here is a link that might be useful: Auguste Renoir at Helpmefind

o

Oh wow, thanks krista! If that's not it, it's damn near its twin :) It really is a lovely looking rose.

o

If you like Meilland roses, you might like Yves Piaget. It has wonderful fragrance and color; it doesn't ball in my garden setting.

o

Thanks krisa, I've never considered Meilland roses (not bc I don't like them, but they just haven't been on my rose radar!). But they are beautiful roses :)

o

um, I am hopeless at rose id....but this looks awfully like a setigera hybrid (I have Tolstoi and Baltimore Belle) - the balling, the shape of leaves and petals.........although would expect someone to chime in with a more educated guess, especially since the setigeras tend to climb.....a lot.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 16:26

Auguste Renoir I remember having a stunning old rose fragrance, one of the best of the best for fragrance. The balling sent it to the dump.

o

It reminds me of Belinda's Dream except darker pink than mine.

o

U thought Renoir also from that side view it balls like that

o

hoovb, I thought it smelt nice earlier in the season, but for the past few weeks there's a strange underlying scent (beneath a still pleasant odor)...almost like rotten earth. Somewhat vaguely unpleasant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here