Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unidentified rose at Hermitage,Nashville, TN

Posted by duchesse_nalabama (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 18:58

My husband and I toured the Hermitage this weekend. I saw this rose in the gardens of Mrs. Jackson, but it was unlabelled and the tour host did not know the same. Does anyone know this rose?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unidentified rose at Hermitage,Nashville, TN

Whoops, first time at this photobucket thing

Here is a link that might be useful: hermitage rose

o

Could it be Dorothy Perkins? We went to Gatlinburg this summer and I saw this one particular rose everywhere. I posted pictures and it was I.D.'d as Dorothy Perkins.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorothy Perkins

o

That looks a lot like R. roxburghii plena to me. Do you recall if the buds were very prickly, as if they looked like some exotic seed with lots of large blunt prickles? That'd be roxburghii.

o

Thanks for the id,trospero.

there was only one blossom on the very large bush, so I did not see any buds. The one blossom was up higher than my head, so I couldn't stick my nose into it, as I wanted to and look at it more closely.

I found a website with cemetery roses with a number of shots of the roxburghii. The cemetery site is here, if anyone is interested: http://woodlandrosegarden.com/american gardens/lynchburg cemetery 2003/r roxburghii plena burr-less 1_f.html

My whole bush shot is below. Don't they look the same? Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful: whole bush shot of rose

o
RE: Dorothy Perkins

Laurie, thanks so much for the Dorothy Perkins link, as I wasn't familiar with it, either. The foliage and flower are different, I think, but the color is about dead on. Thanks for the help.

Annie

o

This is not Doroty Perkins.
Look at the leaves. Some of the leaves have 9 leaflets. I am sure Paul is right. This looks like R. roxburghii plena.
Olga

o

Hi, Olga,I think trospero is right also. Thanks, Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here