Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firethorn_gw

Grandma's Rose Bush

firethorn
18 years ago

I've been helping a friend fix up her yard. It's been neglected for many years, but it was Grandma's so I'm trying to save these plants.

One of them is what they are calling a Chinese Rose Bush. I've never heard of this, is there any such thing? It looks nothing like a rose bush to me, it doesn't even have thorns. But...I grow hostas and I know nothing about roses.

Comments (4)

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

Well, there is a class of rose called China Roses, I suspect that what you have isn't really a rose at all. Do you have any photos? If not, could you describe the flowers, leaves, and plant in more detail?

• firethorn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You know, now that I've looked at the bush longer, I'm sure that it isn't a rose bush. It's got smooth, light green leaves shaped like those on a burning bush, it doesn't have thorns, and I've been watching it all summer and it hasn't even put out buds. Thanks for helping anyways!

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    18 years ago

Firethorn, there are some roses that are thornless or almost thornless. And also some that only bloom once - in the spring or early summer. Photos would help.

• firethorn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Serious? Crazy! I admire you rose people. This confuses me.

I'll go and get a photo ASAP.