Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelsmell_gw

2 more Crazy labeled roses at HD, please help!

angelsmell
18 years ago

I couldn't resist these 2 beautiful roses at HD today.

this one is just the most beautiful yellow I have ever

seen. It was labeld Gold Glow, do you know what it is?

it is very scalloped and the lower petal have white in them.

It is fragrant.

whole bush

{{gwi:1230278}}

Here is another that is so brilliant in color I couldn't get the real brightness but it's just beautiful, labeled

Hot Shot... which is a miniature... this is not a mini, light fragrance.

{{gwi:1230280}}

{{gwi:1230281}}

all the way opened

{{gwi:1230282}}

Comments (14)

• roseluvr
    18 years ago

I posted a thread about 1 month ago regarding intentionally mis-labeled roses being sold by Home Depot as an inventory reduction technique for some nursery. The roses which I found at our Home Depot were Romanticas 'Francois Rabelais' and 'Traviata', which had the made up names of 'Dreamy Nights' and 'Red Paint'. I also found 'Peter Mayle', another Romantica, under the name 'Martha's Pride'. The id for Red Paint being Traviata was confirmed when I planted the rose and uncovered the metal tag in the dirt of the container clearly stating that I had indeed purchased Traviata.

I say all this because I think that your first rose is most likely a Romantica as well-probably Michelangelo. Check out the link below-the owner who posted these photos has one showing white edging on the outer petals. As for the other rose, I tend to think it is Desert Peace, but that is a guess off the top of my head. All of the mis-labeled roses I've found at HD were from Star Roses-and Desert Peace is one which they are offering. You may want to go to their website and check further in order to match the 2nd rose-StarRoses.com. Hope this helps.

bren

Here is a link that might be useful: Michelangelo

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh exactly... Today they had this beautiful soft pink rose it was just precious... they called it Just Joey not even close.... then last week I purchased a rose labeled Electron and when I was putting in my suv I noticed it had a metal tag from Star roses that said Voluptuous... frankly I'm glad I got that one since it won an award this year, the flowers stay a long time on the bush and in a vase... like a week. It's sad for people that don't explore the real name so all the time they will think it's this other rose and it's not. I
    I was looking at Michaelangelo the other day on the internet and thinking how pretty it was. When this rose is fully bloomed I will post a new picture. That's really nice you got the Romantica roses without paying the hight price for them. Were your roses the $5.97 2 gallons they carry? That's what I have been buying.

• roseluvr
    18 years ago

The roses here are still $7.40 for the 2 gallon. What is especially confusing is that these roses are being sold in containers labeled 'Paramount' and have tags with another rose's legitimate name underneath the label on which is printed the fake, non-name (for example, the white label with the non-name 'Red Paint' was slapped over a label for the real rose 'Red Radiance' while the metal tag tied to this same rose said 'Traviata'-Star Roses). The only non-confusing thing about this whole mess is that the class is generally right-'Dreamy Nights' was being sold as a floribunda-and that is what 'Francois Rabelais' is. 'Red Paint' was sold as a hybrid tea-and 'Traviata' is-so look at your tags and go by the class as labeled-at least that should be right and will definitely be helpful in making a correct id.

I enjoy this myself-it is nice getting good roses at such excellent prices-wish Michelangelo had shown up at our stores!! But I do hate it in a way, because folks who are buying these non-name roses don't know which roses they actually own-then they are confused later as to why their rose isn't getting as big as the label had indicated it would.

Someone who worked at a big name nursery emailed me after I first wrote about finding patented roses under nonsensical names and confirmed that his company was one of those that regularly 'dumped' roses onto the market late in the season as a way to reduce inventory and make some money out of the roses-otherwise, these bushes are destroyed. They stated that if you know your roses, there's good ones to be had. I enjoy my Romanticas-especially since they were a steal.

bren

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

AngelSmell, what makes you think your yellow rose isn't Gold Glow? It looks like Gold Glow to me. I have a Gold Glow bush in my yard. Its outermost petals fade very light ...like your photos show.

Also, in particular, one of Gold Glow's distinctive characteritics is the multitude of small petals at the center of its bloom ...and that's what we see in the photos of your yellow-rose. (Gold Glow is rated as having an average of 100 petals-per-bloom.)

Compare your photos with the Gold Glow photos at HelpMeFind dotcom:
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?i=A2997&tab=10
    (or use the Link at the end of this post.)

I think your yellow rose is Gold Glow ...like its label says. Why do you think it isn't?

Regards,
    JohnReb

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold Glow photos at HelpMeFind

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is the yellow rose fully opened this morning, it has a strong fruity rose fragrance... reminds me of an Austin rose. Whatever the rose is I love it, the only rose labeled correctly at the HD was Double Delight, they were beautiful I might add, all the othe HD s roses at other store all look bad right not but these were all in bloom like they just came out of a greenhouse. This was the only yellow rose they had. The HD was on Katella in ORange.
    John can you post a picture of your Gold Glow?

{{gwi:1230285}}

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Unfortunately I cannot post a photo of my Gold Glow ...yet. I've gotta see about getting a Photobucket account, and get it set up. Hopefully I'll have time to do that this weekend.

Your "fully-opened bloom" photo does look like a 100-petal Gold Glow bloom.

Did you check all the other photos of Gold Glow, at the HelpMeFind link I posted?

Regards,
    JohnReb

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

John Reb You can email me your photo and I can post it for you if you like, I already am set up on Photobucket.
    I do believe your right it is Gold Glow, it even has the
    points on the petals like mine. This bush has 8 large buds on it. How well is your Gold Glow growing?
    my email address is marilynm@midcom.com

• bethnorcal9
    18 years ago

AngelSmell, I agree with JohnReb on your GOLD GLOW. I don't actually have it myself, but it looks just like the photos I've seen of it. I also purchased a rose labeled "HOT SHOT" from our local Lowe's back in early April. Mine looks somewhat similar to yours, however, yours seems to have more pink. My first thoughts on yours was GRANADA. Mine I have no idea. And the dang thing hasn't bloomed since April. I think the deer have been chowing on it.

Here's what mine looks like:
    {{gwi:1230286}}

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My so called Hot Shot is mostly a coral color with dark pink at the edges, it has lots of petals. My surprise rose looks more like a Desert Peace rose I think.
    I do believe my yellow rose is Gold Glow also. I really like that rose too. Thank You for all you comments.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    18 years ago

I disagree about it being Gold Glow. i have had it several times and one thing that distinguished it was the points on the tips of the petals and it's fragrance is not really very strong. I agree about Michaelangelo.

If the pink one has light fragrance, then I would lean towards one of the Peace roses since Granada is very fragrant.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My yellow rose (Gold Glow) does have points on the petals.
    Does Michaelangelo have them too?

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    18 years ago

I have Michaelangelo now and mine does not. You can see the points in your last picture so it very well may be GG. I can't remember what sort of smell it has.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mine has a scent sometimes. At night it seems to be gone.
    I have noticed that the rose produces 2 different types of roses, a more tighter rose and a real loose petaled rose.It's wierd having the 2 types on one rose bush.
    I really like this rose.

• Ken Schnautz
    2 years ago

I’m so glad you wrote about your mislabeled roses. I myself bought a ”Martha’s Pride” a few years back and it’s my best performing rose. You say it’s a “Peter Mayle”?

Mine has grown to about 6ft and sends up shoots that grow to about 3/4” diameter by the end of the season. It puts out 12-18 roses at a time when in full bloom.

Pictured: the center and right vases are full of blooms from a single “Martha’s pride’ plant, about 3yrs old. The left vase is flowers from two ’Love’ bushes, each 2yrs old.

You hopefully can see why I see this rose as such a great performer?

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022