Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verdiguy

Name this rose?

VerdiGuy
9 years ago

Hello Fellow Rose Lovers,

I'm currently container growing roses on the steps of my apartment in Central Florida.
While shopping for planters this spring at Big Lots, I saw some dormant bagged roses (purportedly from a nursery in Tyler, Texas), for less than $4. I purchased on whim, what looked liked a dud of Reine de Violettes as this was what was printed on the tag. The rose put out beautifully with nearly thorn-less stems and I thought I'd indeed gotten lucky and it was really Reine de Violettes. It is now nearly 6' tall. When in bloom, here are the results in the accompanying pictures. The first is in a bouquet with Mr. Lincoln (center) and flanked by tow Chrysler Imperials.

I initially thought it was Graham Stuart Thomas, which I grew nearly 25 years ago back home, as the buds and flowers start out pure yellow. However, the flowers open to a buff which fades to a creamy white. The petals fall off quickly; as do most Austins. It has a faint Tea rose and maybe vanilla fragrance, which I've not experienced in roses. It is nearly thorn-less and possesses wonderful medium green and disease free foliage. It is in constant flower and portrays a very erect growth habit, which I'm currently trying to train as a pillar.
My mystery rose is lovely and I'd really like to know exactly what it is. My guesses are Claire Austin or Windermere. Any Ideas?

All advice it greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks