Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betsykristl

ID This Rose, Please!

BetsyKristl
9 years ago

Please help me solve this mystery - it's been dogging me for almost ten years now.

This rose is actually red, not pink as the pictures appear to me, and the petals have a white reverse - you can see that best in the top two photos. I believe it is a tea rose. Some have told me that it is one called "Love," but others have told me it couldn't possibly be that. I do not believe it has a scent.

Every year it behaves exactly the same way - It will put up one or two buds in the spring. One will open, the other will suffer some kind of rose fate - ants will invade it, somebody will step on it,... It will then look half dead through the summer before sending up two more buds, which will meet a similar fate. I moved it from our previous house while it was still young and lost its tag. It has hardly grown since and it makes me wonder what kind of rose doesn't grow for ten years!

I do not even remember it blooming last spring. It is in an awkward place in my garden, so difficult to notice and more difficult to photograph. Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

it looks like my Love and I have a hard time catching the red in my photos too. It usually goes that fluorescent pink color, lol. And Love is a HYBRID TEA not a Tea rose. Those are two different types of roses completely.

• BetsyKristl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Seil! You know, I bought a used book called "
    The Ultimate Rose Book." It has something like 300,000 roses, photographed and described, and when I found their picture of Love rose I realized that it was the same. They refer to it as a "Large-flowered" rose, but mention that some consider it a grandiflora. Nobody who saw mine would even entertain the thought. But I was curious so I looked it up online and, lo and behold - it's classified on Dave's Garden, Help Me Find, Jackson & Perkins, and every site I found it on except one, as a grandiflora. It is also said to be hardy to zone 6, and I'm in 5b, so that may account for it's failure to grow a bit in all these years.

Naturally, Jackson & Perkins (the original hybridizer, bought out by thieves) says it's hardy to zone 5... I was planning to move it to another spot in my garden, but under the circumstances I might just be best off to leave it alone as long as it's still alive.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I can tell you that mine is not the most vigorous grower. I don't think the variety is very vigorous. Mine rarely gets more than about 18 inches to maybe, in a really good year, 2 feet tall. But I can tell you that I've had it for years and years and it's wintered just fine without any protection. Even through our horrible winter last year. I lost 69 roses over last winter but Love wasn't one of them!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

For the most part, grandifloras have very similar growth habits and care as hybrid teas.

It looks like my Mom's LOVE, hers is 6' tall (but Mom doesn't prune much), and also survived last winter.

• BetsyKristl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for a supporting opinion, Diane! Mine is about 2 feet tall, and I've never pruned it. It just doesn't grow.

• pipistrello777
    9 years ago

These colours are from the same stem, the rose is orange, when it opens it fades goes from orange to pink, with yellow bits, its wonderfull, never can find the name or where I can buy it from. Does anyone know?

• pipistrello777
    9 years ago

These colours are from the same stem, the rose is orange, when it opens it fades goes from orange to pink, with yellow bits, its wonderfull, never can find the name or where I can buy it from. Does anyone know?

{{!gwi}}

• BetsyKristl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Probably Jacob's Coat or Jacob's Robe - I can't keep those two straight.

• anh3012
    9 years ago

Check out the Circus.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES