Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ymfoster

Deep Pink HT Rose - pale reverse

ymfoster
18 years ago

I have a deep pink HT Rose with pale pink reverse, it has a pointed bud, about 40 petals, not much perfume & is very susceptable to black spot also.

I have had it over 20 years & lost its tag & was hoping someone could identify it for me please,

Thanks in hope, Yvonne

Image link:

Comments (11)

• LizzieA
    18 years ago

How about Alleluia?

Here is a link that might be useful: Alleluia at HelpMeFind

• ymfoster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for that LizzieA,
    it's quite close but too red I think,
    mine is a deep pink that changes as it ages, & definately has at least 40 petals,

Thanks for looking for me :-)

• hershigrl
    18 years ago

I have Alleluia and it is definitely red, not pink. How about Contrast? That's a pink red with a white reverse. Of course, there is always the grandiflora Love, which gets pinker over time.

Good luck!

- HershiGrl

• rosetom
    18 years ago

It looks very similar to my Dublin, without a sun blush. However, one thing is certain: Peace ancestry. In fact, those leaves are so distinct, it's a first generation Peace descendent, IMHO.

Some work with HelpMeFind came upon Baron de Rothschild, but the form doesn't look quite right.

Search for roses before 1980 at least, with Peace as a prominent descendent. Obviously a Hybrid Tea, but searching for bloom color can be tricky. There are so many choices - deep pink, pink, lighter reverse, light pink, medium pink, pink - and color descriptions were not very specific a few decades ago.

You should probably assume a prominent rose (sold a lot), and a simple color description. That's why I arrived at the Baron, but I'm not sure of the form.

Anyway - the reason I mentioned Dublin is that "bi-color" may not be key. Dublin is almost never described as a bi-color, and neither are many roses with a slightly lighter reverse. Lack of sun or overcast conditions may exagerrate a bi-color tendency that normally doesn't exist.

The leaves are a sure tell-tale, though. Considering all those factors, it may even be Pink Peace.

• ymfoster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

rosetom you sure know a lot about roses :-),
    I had guessed it was of Peace mixture, yes the leaves go very dark & shiny & often crinkly also, .... I think it is most likely 'Bobby Charlton' because of the way the petals curl & point & sometimes one or two petals will open before the bud fully opens.
    I'm fairly new at trying to identify all the characteristics, so thanks for your expert help & taking the time to look for me, I'm very grateful to finally have a name for this rose again,
    Thanks so much,
    Cheers, Yvonne

• bethnorcal9
    18 years ago

What about ALABAMA? Looks a little like it, and it's from 1976.

• ymfoster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Beth,
    Thanks for your suggestion,
    it does look very similar also, the petals on mine do quill a lot at the back, .... I have more photos of mine on page 2 of my Roses album on site below.
    Thanks for taking the time to look for me,
    Cheers, Yvonne

http://photobucket.com/albums/b346/ymfoster/

• tenor_peggy
    18 years ago

I don't know what it is, but is isn't Dublin. Dublin is a relatively recent introduction and is VERY fragrant and thorny.

• mbundick
    18 years ago

I can say with 99% certainty that your rose is Isabel de Ortiz from 1962, introduced into the US by J&P. Its got Peace in its background, hence the leaves are sort of crinkly, and mine is very prone to blackspot and blooms in distinct flushes Never has gotten more than 3 ft high but its on its own roots
    Fairly rare rose, take care of it.

• pgharris
    18 years ago

It does look a lot like Isabel de Ortiz. Is the peduncle pretty stout and a bit prickly? (I'm having to fish for that last detail--haven't seen this rose since about 1978, but I think I remember this from Isabel)

Peter

• ymfoster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Tenor Peggy,
    I'm fairly certain it's not Dublin either
    Cheers, Yvonne

Hi mbundick,
    Sorry to be so long getting back, I thought I had solved the identity, but you've thrown another into the mix :)
    yes it definately has a Peace in it's background, & is very prone to blackspot, mine is about 3 - 4 ft tall but wasn't bought at a nursery, I probably got it at K-Mart.
    I had come to the conclusion it was Acapella seen on the link below (a lot of the pics are mine also, so don't count them if I'm wrong)
    Cheers, Yvonne

Hi Peter,
    The peduncle has a lot of small soft prickles,
    but it isn't that stout, I've just added my latest blooms to the site also, thanks for your input,
    Cheers, Yvonne

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz