Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosetom_gw

Sundowner Pics for Cyberblue (8 pics @ avg 50kb ea)

rosetom
18 years ago

My thanks to JohnReb for helping to finally identify these huge and tallest, colorful Grandifloras: Sundowner. I have two of them, and they grew to 12 feet the first year from Walmart body bags. (They were supposed to be Sunsprites, LOL!) The bush picture below was taken on 6/25 this year, after a typical Spring pruning down to 2 1/2 ft. They are easily over 10 feet now, as I type this post.

Cyberblue recently posted a description and photo, but after looking at these pics again compared to his, I'm doubtful that this is the rose. As mentioned, super-tall, 4 inch flowers or larger on one-to-a-stem or twosies and threesies every once in awhile. Flowers are bright orange with yellow bases (like a Tiffany, almost), and then age to a salmon or coral pink. Form is a short-cupped exhibition style that lasts forever, never flattening and rarely shattering. Unfortunately, fragrance is non-existent, which is why I kept asking questions until JohnReb had the solution. I thought they were scentless Folklores.

Besides their super-height, the stems have an unusual trait on the way to their vertical peaks of 4-6 feet each: a slight zig-zag at each leaf. Leaves can be quite large, and have the unusual trait of retaining a red edge and red veins long after the rest of a new leaf has turned green. They are really very nice roses - especially now that I know what they are.

Cyberblue, please look:

{{gwi:1225384}}
{{gwi:1225386}}
{{gwi:1225387}}
{{gwi:1225388}}
{{gwi:1225391}}
{{gwi:1225393}}
{{gwi:1225389}}
{{gwi:1225390}}

Comments (4)

• cyberblue
    18 years ago

Thank you so much,rosetom!

I think sundowner has more ruffled edges than mine - on mine they fold back pretty soon. The growth habit and zigzagging are the same.

JohnReb mentioned Folklore and Maid of Honor - I´d never guessed there are to many similar roses LOL!

All of these are listed on Help me Find as having a strong scent. Mine has definately no scent at all. It smells a bit green like leaves. Now I believe that all the Help me find pictures are mixed up too.

Thank you very much for trying to sort this out with me. I´ll try to post another picture tomorrow.
    Cyberblue

• rosetom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Careful with fragrance - it is not a reliable indicator, probably in most cases.

• cyberblue
    18 years ago

rosetom and JohnReb please check out these pix:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b216/Cyber_blue/please%20id/

they´re public,so you shouldn´t have problems with access.
    Waiting for your expert opinions! :)
    Cyberblue

• rosetom
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I agree with JohnReb on your other thread - Folklore. Your rose has bud and fresh bloom form that has wonderfully swirled high centers. It looks like perfect exhibition material, which is everything I've always heard about Folklore (I don't have one) - including your 12 foot heights and the long stems that result.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm