Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbfoodie

Unknown rose from ARE

jbfoodie
17 years ago

I purchased an Etoile de Lyon from ARE last fall and I am sure that this rose is not EdL. I confirmed my suspicions when bought one from Vintage (to replace the mislabeled one from ARE) and the Vintage version is definitely different. I received no help from ARE with this problem, needless to say I will not purchase from them again. Anyway, can anyone 'name this rose?' This is a picture of the foliage:

{{gwi:1230573}}

This is the flower:

{{gwi:1230576}}

The bush is full of PM, where the EdL from Vintage is not. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (6)

• cayene
    17 years ago

Wish I could help you with the I.D. on this one as I am in the same boat as you. I have two so called EdL's from ARE and they definitely are not the same rose that Vintage sells as EdL (which I have also). I called ARE earlier this year about their EdL and was told that they would check to see if their stock was "contaminated" which I guess means "misnamed" but they never got back with me.
    btw, the rose that Vintage sells as EdL is the same as Bermuda's Anna Olivier.

• jbfoodie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cayenne--this is the same rose I was wondering about in an earlier thread, but I did not have a picture then. I am pretty certain that it is Blumenschmidt based on the pictures and descriptions I have gathered from various websites. I do not know if you recall, but I had the same experience as you did with ARE getting back to me. I also have a thread going on the Antique Rose Forum, which I posted the same time as this one and it received many responses. I think from now on I will post mystery roses there as they seem to get more attention. thanks for the tip--Anna O--and thanks for responding!!

• cayene
    17 years ago

I have Blumenschmidt and the ARE version of EdL is not the same rose. ARE's version of EdL is unlike any of other 80 plus teas I have in my garden.

• jbfoodie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am including the link to the Vintage website, which depicts Blumenschmidt in all its blooming phases--bud, newly opened and aged bloom. My rose looks exactly like this picture. Also, in the Vintage Gardens Rose book it states that B is prone to mildew in coastal climates. My rose has mildew that won't quit. What does your B look like? Do you have any pictures you can post? I would love to see it. If my rose is not B, then I have exhausted all the possiblilities so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blumenschmidt at Vintage Website

• jbfoodie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cayenne--do you have any pictures of your Blumenschmidt that you can post here? I would very much like to see it. I have the Vintage EdL now and it is nothing like my mystery rose. I love my Vintage version.

• soff
    17 years ago

did you look at homere or mme de wateville?
    My mme does ball a lot, but it commes from p beales and the picture look the same to me
    Homere is that kind of rose too, mine didn't flower, jut a cutting!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville