Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyberblue

Please help, do you recognize this rose?

cyberblue
18 years ago

Hi,

it is a very fast grower and about 12 foot high. It repeats very well and has no scent. The flowers are quite big maybe 4 inches.

I haven´t seen it anywhere else.

Cyberblue

Image link:

Comments (18)

• terryemerson
    18 years ago

I'm pretty sure that this is Chicago Peace - a sport of chicago. It's readily available in the UK & I presume the US / Canada too.

• cyberblue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I looked it up at helpmefind.com and I think you´re right. What´s strange though, is that the pictures there differ so much. Either this rose changes so much in different climates or some people uploaded pictures of other roses.
    Thank you terryemerson,
    Cyberblue

• rosetom
    18 years ago

Looks a lot like my Sundowner pairs:

- 12 feet the first year,
    - Blooms were HybridTea Form, one-to-a-stem most of the time, but a 2 or 3 cluster occasionally
    - Blooms were bright orange with a yellow base, aging to a salmon or coral pink, no scent

I thought for years they were Folklores until the lack of scent kept my curiosity and JohnReb came to the rescue (he has one, too.)

A couple of fairly unique things about the Sundowner - the stems are very vertical, but often take little zig-zags at each leaf. New growth will age to green, but the leaves retain a red edge and red-veining for quite some time. They can be quite large, too, on occasion. The height and vigor is unequaled. A stem just wants to be 4-5 foot or more before it even forms a bud.

Peace is a vigorous rose, and mine reaches 8 feet almost every year. Yet, 12 feet is a little much for any Peace, but these did that in their first year for me.

Let me know and I'll post a bunch of pictures if you suspect this might be the one.

• cyberblue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, rosetom! That´s all right on!
    I once had to "cut it in half" in August because of Blackspot and it still grew a lot that year.
    I think you found the right one!! :)) Great, I always wanted to know what it´s name was!
    Cyberblue

• rosetom
    18 years ago

Cyberblue,
    I was going to post a whole slew of pictures of my Sundowners - various stages of bud to bloom, bush, and young-mature leaves. After working out the post and staring at the pictures, I decided they didn't look like your picture at all.

Please look at my description again. If you truly think it fits your rose, I will post them, but I think there must be more 12 foot Hybrid Teas and Grandifloras out there than I thought.

• cyberblue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi rosetom,
    we´ll do it the other way. I´ll make a few more pictures and I´ll post a few of them under "sundowner?" in a few days. And we´ll take it from there. If I can figure out how to add more than one picture to a post :)
    Cyberblue

• rosetom
    18 years ago

If you're unsure at how to post multiple pics, I'll go ahead and post a Sundowner thread for you. Keep in mind, it met your description, but not your photograph.

BTW, imbedded pics are easy, as long as you've uploaded your photos to an accessible Internet address. Simply type the following code in your post for each photo:

[img src="www.photoInternetSite.com/photoname.jpg";]

Be sure to use ANGLE brackets instead of the square brackets shown. (I can't type the angle brackets because it thinks they're code.)

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Regarding the two identity-guesses thus far in this thread:
    Chicago Peace,
    Sundowner,
    for the record, I grow both of those roses in my yard.

I also grow Folklore, and it is my guess, based on Cyberblue's photo & bush-description of his/her rose, and what Folklore's blooms & bush look like in my yard.

Folklore is a fast-grower, and reaches 12 feet. In my yard. sometimes Folklore has "significant" scent and sometimes it doesn't.

Based on the AMOUNT and also the HUE of the orange and yellow in Cyberblue's photo and my yard's Folklore and Sundowner blooms, I'm pretty sure the rose isn't Sundowner. Special Note: Because I always take Rosetom's opinions quite seriously, I note with interest that he now thinks the rose isn't Sundowner.

Unlike Sundowner, Folklore's opening petals do not "begin" as hot-orange ...but instead, become that color due to sunlight-exposre. On the other hand, Sundowner's opening petals do "begin" as hot-orange, and become coral-ish with sunlight exposure.

If I recall correctly, Beth has said that the SO-CALLED "Climbing Maid Of Honor" (a rose-wholesaler renamimg) is actually Folklore, because
    (1) the blooms size, form, and color match Folklore's, and
    (2) Folklore grows so tall so quickly that it can be mistaken for a Climbing rose.

I'm not saying the mystery-rose is definitely Folklore - just that based on the small amount of description-info we've been given so far, Folklore is my guess at this point. : )

Regards,
    JohnReb

• cyberblue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi JohnReb,
    On my rose the petals start out looking a bit shook up - not extremely tidy and fold into triangles quite soon. Growth habit and zigzagging are just as sundowner.

You mention Folklore and Maid of Honor - I´d never guessed there are to many similar roses LOL!

All of these are listed on Help me Find as having a strong scent. Mine has definately no scent at all. It smells a bit green like leaves. What kind of scent do you have on Folklore, JohnReb?
    Cyberblue

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Cyberblue, you've now mentioned a major ID-clue ...namely, petal-quilling (the folding/curling of a petals edges to form a triangular point).

As you see in Rosetom's photos, Sundowner's petals do very little quilling. On the other hand, Folklore's petals do quite a lot of quilling.

By the way, Quilling is a "genetically set" characteristic. If a rose-variety isn't a quiller, no weather or soil-chemistry will make it quill.

About scent... scent-level is quite variable. I mentioned in my previous reply that my Folklore sometimes has scent and sometimes it doesn't. Many rose-varieties have scent in the morning and none in the afternoon. Therefore at present I'd recommend concentrating less on scent-level and focusing on other identification-characteristics. (Such as average petal-count per bloom, quilling, leaf-color, leaf-glossiness, bloom "lifespan," etc.)

As I said, I'm guessing Folklore for the moment because that's what your photo looks like (including the petal-quilling)- and the bush's 12-foot height. But other ID-characteristics could disqualify Folklore from being the correct identity.

Hoping this info is helpful in your ID-quest,
    JohnReb

• cyberblue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

rosetom and JohnReb please check out these pix:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b216/Cyber_blue/please%20id/

they´re public,so you shouldn´t have problems with access.
    Waiting for your expert opinions! :)
    Cyberblue

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Thanks for the additional photos.

But you still haven't answered my suggestion that you check additional ID-clues. For example, "petal-count-average" is a very important ID-clue. (To get a rose's P-C-A, count every petal from five blooms, then divide that total number by five.)

I see the reverse-side of your rose's petals is distinctly a lighter color than their "main" side. That's an extremely important ID-clue.

I grow another rose which sometimes looks like your bloom-photo ...and it has lighter petal-reverse. It's Octoberfest. But that rose doesn't grow even close to 12 feet tall. Plus, the ARS says Octoberfest's petal-count-average is 17-25 petals ...and your rose clearly has way more petals than that.

Here is the description of Folklore in the 2006 Edmunds Roses catalog:
    "Folklore - hybrid tea - petals 40-45. Slow pening, high-centered form of warm salmon with a rich golden-orange reverse. The tall, slightly spreading vase shaped plants bear long stems covered with reddish tinted waxy [meaning semi-glossy] foliage that is extremely disease resistant. Every year several of our customers report a Climbing sport, but this isn't true - it's the nature of the beast [...]"

The customers' reports that their Folklore bush has produced a "climbing sport" seems to match up with your "fast-growing, 12-foot tall" report about your rose.

So until you give us several additional ID-characteristics about your rose, I'll have to stick with my PRELIMINARY guess of Folklore. (HMF says its petal-count-average is 44, Edmunds says 40-45).

Regards,
    JohnReb

• cyberblue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I didn´t forget your q but it´s hard for me to answer:

Such as average petal-count per bloom: I have no open blooms I can reach but one will be opening in a vase since it broke off - I´ll count as soon as it´s possible.

leaf-color:
    dark green for me, but they start out purple-bronze-red. Sometimes very big!

leaf-glossiness: I´d say very glossy

bloom "lifespan": if open when cut maybe 5 days

It´s all kind of interpretation!
    CB

• rosetom
    18 years ago

Cyber - I replied on the other thread, but I agree with JohnReb. Your latest photos indicate a wonderfully swirled high center bud and early bloom. It looks very suitable for exhibition competition, especially when you combine the bloom form with the outrageously long, straight stems.

That makes me think Folklore.

• cyberblue
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you both very much for all your help.
    From now on its name is Folklore!
    Cyberblue

• bethnorcal9
    18 years ago

Well, I agree with the rest. My first thought was FOLKLORE.

• camluck
    18 years ago

How about Caribbean? I have one and it is currently at about 9-10 ft. It's a grandiflora and has no scent.

• bethnorcal9
    18 years ago

Definitely not CARIBBEAN!!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012