Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuckie63

More on my 99 cent rose

chuckie63
16 years ago

Here are a couple more pics. See next message as well since I havent figured out how to post 2 pics on one message.

Image link:

Comments (6)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Look up pictures (they have lots) of Tamora, Ambridge Rose, and Evelyn on helpmefind and see if they are like any of those. Off hand I'd say maybe Evelyn, which has a peachy scent.

Here is a link that might be useful: help me find roses search feature

• chuckie63
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info, hoovb! What a great website that is! It IS very close to evelyn and ambridge rose, too, but I think I'm leaning towards it being "Floral Fairy Tale" which also has a variety of other names. I measured a bloom today and it's about 2 1/4" wide. The scent is very light and there are about 40 petals. Also new info is that there are 2 buds forming together on the the same stem--not sure what you call that but like a little bouquet. The first 4 did not do that--they were single.
    How will I ever know for sure what it is? Will I???

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

From the other photos, your rose is not Floral Fairy Tale, I grow it. I agree with hoovb, it looks like a rose hybridized by David Austin (so-called "Austin Roses"), and the three hoovb names were all hybridized by Austin.

• chuckie63
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Diane nj. I did look at the other 3 hoovb mentioned and for one small reason or another it didn't match--i think mostly because the others had too much pink or varigation. So tell me how this works cause i'm new at this. Are the David Austin roses the only ones with the multiple petals? If not, what makes you look at it and think David Austin? Do you think I should do more research into his roses? Sorry if these are dumb questions. Ya there was one detail regarding Fairy tale that didn't line up and that was that it's descibed as having dark green leaves and mine aren't but i thought maybe that's something that changes with soil nutrients, etc. I will take more pics on this next round of buds. Thanks!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

There are all kinds of roses with lots and lots of petals.

I think your rose looks like one of DA's based because I have all 3 of the roses I mentioned, and I've been looking at them and watching them grow and bloom for about 9 years now, in all types of weather. The peachy-apricot Austins are variable depending on weather--my Abe Darby is currently a very pure bubblegum pink; in spring it is yellow and apricot, with many less petals. It's one of their charms, actually, that they respond to the weather...anyway, post some more pics when you can, we'll get it ID'd!

Take some more pictures on the next round of bloom, (a close up of the foliage and stems will help) and try to describe the fragrance of the flower, and we may be able to pinpoint a name for you.

The Fairy Tale roses are not that common in the US as yet, and probably wouldn't be found at the 99 cent store yet, (but you never know).

• chuckie63
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok so stay tuned and in about 3 or 4 days i should have more pics. Here is another trait I have noticed: the bud is a very solid light peach/apricot. Then when it opens it's still light apricot but the outter petals start getting lighter. By the end of the day that apricot is more of a pale pink. The next day and then after it fades to almost a buff/beige. The backside is also paler and has a slight yellowing in the middle. I'll use someone elses camera next time--mine doesnt do good close ups.