Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help ID this beautiful rose

Posted by sanrosa 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 18:43

Hi all! I hope someone can help me ID this lovely rose:

Unknown Chalis shaped rose 1

Its blooms are very distinctive, I call them chalis shaped, and the color is a lovely warm salmony pink:

Photobucket

The bush is over 10 years old. I don't remember where I got it. It is about 4 feet tall and wide. The blooms are borne singly on long stems:

Unknown Chalis shaped rose spray

It has little fragrance, rather a clean light scent, if any, and it blooms regularly through the summer. I hope someone can Help!
It is a very photogenic rose; I have tons more photos if you need more info.
Thank you for your interest and consideration.
Sandra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help ID this beautiful rose

OK, I'll add some better photos of the bloom. These show the color more truely:

unknown lovely rose

a pretty unknown rose

And the whole bush:
Whole Bush

unknown bush

I really like this lovely, easy-care (ie, performs even when neglected) rose. I just wish I could remember what it is.
Sandra

o

There are hundreds of pink hybrid teas, so Id'ing solid pinks is always dicey. But I'll chance a guess anyway.
Maybe it's Sonia?

o

Thank you!
I looked up Sonia on Help me find, and it sure looks like it. I live in zone 5, and I give no special protection to this rose, and it over-winters just fine, though HMF says zone 7 and warmer; I think it rings a bell. I know I must have bought it somewhere on sale, and it says on HMF
"'Sonia' is the rose which has been the biggest commercial success in the world with about 40 million plants sold.
[From A Year of Roses, by Stephen Scanniello, pp. 146-147:] "
Thank you!
Sandra

o

Your rose does bear a strong resemblance to 'Sonia' -- not only the bloom, but the growth habit and foliage as well.

The principal reason that 'Sonia' has been so successful in commerce is the fact that it has been THE pink florist rose for almost four decades now, & I would venture to guess that the bulk of its sales has been to commercial growers.

o

Thank you, jaxondel, that is interesting. I grew up in a flower shop. My family owned a flower shop in Phoenix for some 50 years. I do remember working with Sonia roses, now that you mention it, (the 1970's was a long time ago), and it was a favorite. I never connected it with my bush. Now I'm really glad I have it, and know what it is; it brings back some very happy memories!
Thanks again!
Sandra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here