Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachaellemmon

A funny way to find a rose ....

RachaelLemmon
11 years ago

One day I was taking my dog out for a walk in the yard at my new home and I stepped on a sharp rock , I had on sandals. I went to pick it up and throw it when I realized it was a stick...Upon further investigation I realized it was a tiny rose cane ...right there.. in the middle of the lawn ! I guess at one point there was a garden or atleast a rose bush . So here she is 4 months later. And when they bloom we can all take a guess at what it is. I've seen two blossoms so far and they are a deep red and very large . Should only be a few days before they open :)

Comments (20)

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here she is

• petaloid
    11 years ago

That's great -- I look forward to seeing the opening blooms.

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Petaloid. Its kind of exciting to find something that really looked dead....and have it come back so lovely. The people nextdoor said that the grass has been out back for 10 years...but before that, there was a large garden of the original owners. To think it has been mowed over for so many years is just crazy!

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

Did it open yet :)

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its been mid to high 30s here over night...shes a bit slow. But im hoping to see them this week.

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FINALLY!

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I realize its a hard ID , just pink. but what an awesome find !

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

last one

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

first frost is coming this weekend so this will be the last I see this year :(

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wonder if I will get good stong canes over time... I know they are very small but it was dead in the lawn , being mowed over for years so I am not surprised . Hopefully it will get stronger over the years.

• petaloid
    11 years ago

Those photos are excellent, showing blooms in different stages of opening, foliage, stems ... even a thorn or two.

I'm pretty sure someone will recognize it if enough people see it.

Could you go on the regular roses forum with these pictures, or a link to this page? A lot more people visit there than here.

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Idk how to do the link :) lol

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And it has no scent ...but you cant have everything I suppose...

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

You found a beauty! Take a look at Charlotte Armstrong. I think it looks a lot like your rose.

• merlcat
    11 years ago

Wow, What a beauty and such a great (both sad and happy) )story to go along with her!

Actually, If I didn't know any better, I would assume that the same Manic Mower who cuts the yard at our apartment was employed to mow the yard at your place.

Bush? Plant? Border? Bed? Rocks? "What? I don't see anything..."

VVVVRRROOooommmmm......!!!!!

Anything and everything mowed down and over in the blink of an eye. :(

• RachaelLemmon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just an update , what a love I have for this rose now. A nice repeat and just huge beautiful blooms. completely disease and pest free rose.

• emrogers
    9 years ago

WOW!!! I'm so happy that you stumbled across this rose. Funny thing is that last week I didn't stumble on a rose but my DH whose an actual house mover and was in the process of moving a house came across what looks like a climber or rambler at the house he was about to move. He dug it up and brought it home (we're known to rescue EVERYTHING from dogs and cats to apparently now plants too :D ) but forgot about the rose!!!!!!! the next day he planted it and watered it and forgot to tell me the planted it and watered it that once!!! So here I am now 5 days later giving it lots of TLC because it doesn't look good BUT it's not dead I cut it back some in hopes that it would focus it's energy on growing strong roots. Have been watering it and I'm so hopeful that it will turn into a beauty like yours!!! Gives me so much hope for mine. I think roses are so resilient. :D
    Elce

• thelarkascending
    9 years ago

I'm really glad that the original rose was not killed, and that root stock didn't come up! Maybe you have a own root rose. That is very pretty!

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    8 years ago

A friend and his son have a small business doing garden chores (cutting grass, pruning, etc). Two years ago one of their customers had five roses and she asked them to dig them up as she didn't want them anymore. He brought them home to his wife and she asked me if I could ID them. I don't remember anything about 4, but the fifth was Carefree Sunshine which I had not been able to purchase for a few years. We were able to find the tag on it. Needless to say, it is in my yard now and I love it!

• Seeingreen
    8 years ago

enjoyed the story and the pictures thanks!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio