Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's This Rose?

Posted by ltguidetti PA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 07 at 23:25

Here is a rosebush that I would like to buy more of - they are all along my fence, but some are beat - and I don't know what to get! I tried propagating them, but they won't take.

(If you have any idea about the other flowers on the page, please let me know those, too, lol! Thanks!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's This Rose?

ltguidetti, it seems to be Dr Huey...

o

It is used as rootstock. Just buy cheap bare-root roses in bags next spring (any variety), cut off the graft where the canes diverge, and plant the roots with the crown 2" below grade.

o

Yeah, it is Dr. Huey. It is a once-blooming (in the spring) climber. No one really sells Huey for Huey's sake. As michaelg notes, what happens is that the variety that is grafted onto Dr. Huey dies off and Dr. Huey "suckers" and "takes over". That's why you see so many of them in the spring. Many people dig it up, since it isn't what they wanted. A few folks on the forums grow it because they like it.

There are other red climbers to take a look at if you wish. Palatine Roses has a nice looking red named "Amadeus", for example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amadeus

o

Someone must have had a yellow bush grafted onto it at one time. I have a photo of it with a single yellow rose right smack in the middle of the red ones. ;) It was really cute, lol.

I like it - I like the color, and I'm out in the country, but we are right near a road. It's a good hardy rose and I don't have to weed under the fence (ugh) where the roses are. ;D

Why do they call it Dr. Huey? What an awful name!!!

o

After Dr. Robert Huey, a famous rosarian of the early 20th cent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here