Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgvmom

'Bouquet de Novia'

rgvmom
13 years ago

My mother in law has this rose in her garden and she gave me cuttings several days ago. And now I am wondering what rose is that. She calls it "Bouquet (or Buque) de Novia" - she speaks Spanish. I couldn't find anything with that name. May be they just call it like that because clusters of white flowers resemble bride's bouquet.

The rose grows over the tree and it's really hard to figure out its size - I would say about 8 feet with branches going about 5 feet on the sides. It is kind of bold right now, may be because of our Texas leaf cutting ants or it's something normal for that rose. She doesn't remember since when she had it, but it is younger that 30 years old.

It has big thorns on older branches, but I didn't see any on new wood. The buds are small and round, when I removed the green sepals(?) the petals look yellowish and pale pink on top. I saw the bloom couple of days ago, so I assume it blooms more than once.

The blooms are creamy white, small, about 1.5 inches in clusters. Very nice strong sweet scent. I don't have much experience with roses, so I really can't compare. I left one flower in the book where it dried up and when I opened the book I still could smell it.

The rose gets its water, but it has a lot of competition there with the tree, cacti and some other plants my mother-in-law has around that tree. I don't think she feeds or spray the rose.

Image link:

Comments (2)