Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID old yellow rose

Posted by RuthK California (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 0:54

When I moved to this house, the previous owner told me the rose was planted in 1941 or 42. I'm not positive, but that's the story. It's pretty thick at the base.

It blooms in flushes from early spring to late in the fall, sometimes with candelabra clusters.

The roses open yellow and fragrant, then open to very pale butter (once in a while tinged with pink). When open, the petals are ruffled.

They bloom for a long time, lasting well when cut. Lots of sharp thorns.

Its very happy with lots of sun, and beloved by thrips and caterpillars alike ; )

Please help! I've searched and looked, but couldn't find a name. Any tips are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID old yellow rose

I meant to add that after they open, the blooms lose most of their scent.

o

shape and size

o

one more

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 20:59

That's really a beauty what ever it is!

o

That sure is a beauty, I agree. I love yellow roses and this one looks truly beautiful!

I am not used to seeing anything like that growing in such a small square of open ground in concrete. At least.. not roses! Knotweed maybe...

I have to ask... how does this happen? Is it typical to plant like this? Or, what came first. the rose or the concrete? Did they just decide to put in a walkway and pave around it??

I know, silly questions I am sure, please excuse my ignorance on this but I am dying to know more.

o

I actually don't know what came first - the rose or the concrete. My theory is that the concrete went in, and then the rose was planted - both in 1942, I was told.

I worry about only getting to feed or tend to a very small space at the base...but it seems to be just fine! In bloom and resisting blackspot into November.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here