Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwi_fiona

not Felicite Perpetue - any suggestions?

Kiwi_Fiona
17 years ago

This is an old rose that has been in a family for generations. It looks and behaves like Felicite Perpetue, but the flowers are a little bigger, and are not pompoms, and are quite distinctly different from the back. Any suggestions?

Image link:

Comments (8)

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

Can you post a larger photo so we can get a better look at the leaves and hips (or are those buds)?

Some more info would help - for starters:

Is your rose fragrant - if so, what does it smell like?

You say it looks and behaves like Felicite Perpetue - do you mean that it is a once-blooming rambler?

It's very pretty! Just how long has it been in your family?

• Kiwi_Fiona
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Cecilia,
    This is a rose that grows at one end of the country, and I'm at the other end. It has been in that family for at least 70 years, very possibly longer. It looks and behaves... it's growing way up a tree, and at first glance can pass for FP. The back appearance is very distinctive - I've posted another picture of that, though I keep running into the size restriction when I load the pictures. Scent? some I think.

• Kiwi_Fiona
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Have managed to attach a better picture!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

Wow, what a beauty.

The branch in the photo has very few thorns/prickles - is this true for the rest of the plant?

Is it warm in the parts of NZ where this rose has been grown? Knowing the rose's hardiness might narrow the search down.

I hope trosepro sees your post - he's really good at identifying older roses. Of course, maybe your rose was only available in NZ and/or Australia and we've never seen it in the US!

• Kiwi_Fiona
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This rose grows in frost-free Northland, in a garden along with Fortunes Double Yellow, Rosa roxburghii, Rosa multiflora carnea and other roses that the early missionaries/settlers had in their gardens. It's a real treasure trove.

The rose was up in a tree, and I should have gone up after it, but there was only limited time.

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

Not sure, but it reminds me of my Madame Pierre Oger - link below. Yours is a little pinker, but it's possible they come from the same parents. Also see La Reine Victoria

From memory, both of these roses have the pink splotches on the back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Madame Pierre Oger

• Kiwi_Fiona
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Many thanks for the suggestion, but this rose is too small for Mme Pierre Oger. I've been leaning towards Blush Noisette after reading Mrs Keays articles.

• heikerose
    17 years ago

Hello, if your rose grows quite tall and repeats (moderately), this should be 'Aimée Vibert', a noisette climber or 'Blush Noisette' as itself in his climbing form.

'Aimée Vibert' has musk fragrance and 'Blush Nosette' smells more like clover.