Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ymfoster

Old Red HT rose over 60 years old

ymfoster
18 years ago

I have an old red rose that was from a cutting I took 37 years ago from a rose that was already over 5 feet tall when we moved into a house (when I was 6) that belonged to an elderly couple, ..... it has a gorgeous perfume of the old red rose fragrance, less then 20 petals, no thorns on backs of leaves & fewer towards top of stems also, ... the flower opens right out eventually & fades to a more pale reddish purple as it ages.

I will post a recent photo of it, ....

I wonder if 'rosetom' would know how I could post more than one thumbnail in a post please also ;),

Thanks for a great site & great folks helping,

Cheers, Yvonne

Image link:

Comments (5)

• rosetom
    18 years ago

Well, Crimson Glory would be my guess. Up until the 60's, it was THE red rose. I think year of introduction was 1935, so there's no problem with being 60. ;-) HelpMeFind is always a good source to check for photos and info, and DiggerDave has some pics in a post on the main rose forum right now. CG is his favorite (it's in my top 5).

Posting multiple photos is easy - once you have an Internet site to store the pics. The form in a post is like so:
    [img src="http://wwww.photointernetaddress.com/rosephoto.jpg";]. Use angle brackets instead of the square brackets shown (you can't use the real thing to show as example - it tries to to find the real photo).

For instance, here's some pics of my CG (the red roses along the sides and bottom is Blaze - CG is in the middle):
    {{gwi:1231278}}
    {{gwi:1231280}}
    {{gwi:1231282}}

• rosetom
    18 years ago

P.S. Don't get hung up on the petal count. HMF says 30-35 for CG, but you said less than 20. CG can vary widely, and depends on the health/maturity of the bush and on favorable conditions. It will purple in hot sun as it ages, and overcast/cool conditions can make them go magenta or deep pink. A bloom will go flat fairly quickly in high heat, too.

However, the fragrance is to die for ...

• ymfoster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for that rosetom, :)
    it's very much appreciated, .... I've grown roses since my teens when I pruned the original Crimson Glory & have never known it's name, although heard of Crimson Glory often enough.
    We have very hot dry Summers here so mine opens fully pretty quickly.
    I agree the perfume is to die for :)
    Thanks for the instructions on posting also, I did try from 'Image Shack' previously but only got the letters etc., so will have another go shortly,
    Thanks again, Yvonne

• diggerdave
    18 years ago

I agree the Tom (no surprise) {{gwi:1231284}} would be my guess too. Don't let the leaves above in that pic throw you. That is clematis foliage {{gwi:1231286}} The fragrance of {{gwi:1231288}} is something else. Petal count can vary a lot on {{gwi:1231290}} I'll shut up :) I tend to get carried away talking about this rose.

• ymfoster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Dave, :-)
    I'm glad you agree with Tom, especially as it's one of your most favourites, .... I have already named all my images of it now.
    Your collection sounds great, it must be heavenly when they're all in flower, I enjoyed reading about your snob's favourite 5 also,
    Thanks for replying, it's much appreciated,
    Cheers, Yvonne