Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starshadow78

new house, new roses - ID's please?

starshadow78
18 years ago

I'm almost embarrased to post these with all of the beautiful pictures I've seen here... but I was wondering if I could get some identifications?

I purchased a house this summer and didn't even discover until recently that the whole side yard is coverd in roses! I have no idea how to take care of them so any "fall cleanup" advice would be great... I will definately do some reading this winter too to take care of them come spring... anyway, on to the idents... here are my pics:

{{gwi:1231381}}

{{gwi:1231382}}

{{gwi:1231383}}

thanks for any help!

Comments (14)

• kvturtle
    18 years ago

There are sooo many varities out there that look the same, especially with the red ones!, but my huimble guess would be Red-"Tender Night" Cream/red-"Diamond Jubilee"
    Now this was a hard one----
    cream/pinkorpeach-possibly 1."Shropshirelass", 2."Peer Gynt" or 3."Crepuscule" or 4."Many happy Returns". See-many possibilities. And the only one I have is Diamond Jubilee. the others I looked up in "Botanica's Roses" 1,000 pages/ 2,000 roses listed w/pictures. hope it helped. Kathie

• oksanakazan
    18 years ago

I have rose, which showing on a second picture. It's mini- rose "Debut"

• diggerdave
    18 years ago

Dark, reddish foliage at the bottom om the red pic makes me lean to {{gwi:1231384}} (thumbnail, click to see full photo) Europeana (floribunda). Foliage is a dead giveaway on that rascal {{gwi:1231386}} I know I have better pics of the foliage somewhere.... lol.

The second reminds me of a mini also... {{gwi:1206716}} Magic Carrousel was the one I was thinking of {{gwi:1202180}}

• bethnorcal9
    18 years ago

The last one looks a lot like the old J&P floribunda FIRST KISS. If it grows rather short and sometimes clusters, and has a slight "pear" scent, then I'd say that's what it is.

• Sconey
    18 years ago

The red one looks an awful lot like my Ole.
    But there seems to be lots and lots of reds that look similar.

• jimmiegeorge
    18 years ago

Given your zone, I'd hazard a guess that the red one is Champlain. The spray formation fits as does the curling, burned petals that Champlain gets when the bloom is just about done.

• ehann
    18 years ago

The bicolor looks like my Nicole, a floribunda. I'm told it gets huge, what are the growth habits of your bush?

• Adgerlady
    18 years ago

I think that 2nd rose is Hannah Gordon. Be sure and check out all the photos on helpmefind
    Sis

Here is a link that might be useful: hannah gordon

• petaloid
    18 years ago

I also think the second one looks like my Magic Carrousel, as diggerdave said.

• debrazone9socal
    18 years ago

The first one looks like Red Simplicity to me, based on the petal shape and color. Check out the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Simplicity on HMF

• PattyNCal
    18 years ago

I agree, Europeana for the red if it stays around 3 feet and blooms in big clusters, hardy any fragrance. The second is a mini? If so, Magic Carousel for sure. the third, I am not too sure.

• dianess987
    18 years ago

The third one struck me as First Kiss also. First Kiss has a glow from inside.

I've heard good things about the roses for dummies book, although I've not read it. It might be helpful to have a straightforward reference at hand, with nice clear pictures.

• patricianat
    18 years ago

I agree on Hannah Gordon vs Nicole. The petals of Hannah are a little different from Nicole.

First Kiss is a good guess on the third one.

Ah, that Europeana could be and could not be, who knows? Too many red.

• collinw
    18 years ago

The red one could be Blaze. My Europeana is more 'velvety' than this photo seems to be.