Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify Beach Rose

Posted by edlincoln 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 13:07

This rose was found growing on the beach in Massachusetts. It has lots of tiny thorns and flattish rose hips the size of small tomatoes (Almost two inches wide and flat). Mostly passed blooming now, but still has a few flowers.

It's important because there are a couple species it could be, one is native, one is invasive. Depending on what it is, I may try to take cuttings and spread it around.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify Beach Rose

Without a picture it is very difficult to make a guess.

That being said, rugosa roses have lots of little prickly thorns and their hips are as you describe. Their leaves have ridges on the surface and I often see them in beach areas here on the west coast.

I'll put a link to some HelpMeFind search results for rugosas -- click on the rose names and you can see more photos, some including stems, leaves and some hips:

Here is a link that might be useful: rugosa search results

o

Sorry! The picture didn't upload for some reason.

o

Oh, yes - definitely a rugosa, I'll link the Wikipedia description below, which mentions that it is a common beach rose in Massachusetts:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa Rugosa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here