Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magical_isis

Lovely shrubby rose on edge of parking lot...

magical_isis
14 years ago

Would this one have a name? Or is it a generic "wild" - and where did the wild ones come from, anyway?

This is a large shrub (about 8 feet tall and a bit Sigmund and the Seamonster-ish), flowers are about 3 inches across and have a beautiful scent. Should I try my hand with some cuttings?

Thanks so much!

Image link:

Comments (4)

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

Name:Sally Holmes Type: Shrub Climber
    Bloom Characteristics:
    Color: white Fragrance: light
    Petal Count: 5-11 Bloomshape: single
    Comments: large flat semi-double blooms in clusters
    Bloom Period: excellent bloomer
    Growth Characteristics:
    Height (first year): 4' Width (first year): 2'
    Growth Habit: upright
    Vigor: medium
    Foliage Note: lush; well foliated, disease-resistant
    Additional Information:
    Awards: ARS Rating: 8.9
    Origin: Holmes, UK, 1976

LOL to a "generic" wild rose it's just wild rose which is a one time bloomer in early spring in a small 4 petal count fragerance sweet in white and sometimes pink single cane with muti flowerings and massive hips in fall a green foilage depending on sun exposure to dark green. I lost track of wild rose prior to 1500 AD in the middle east parts of the world perhaps Northern Afganistan

hips contain seedlings inside them a bird or animal of some type carried and droped enough hips to grow the wild rose can also drop there hips

I wouldn't reccomend cutting or root digging a wild rose for your yard, but this one will do fine with some easy care and prunning. Keep an eye on it from time to time and wait till spring to get a few cuttings as there is an expired patten # If on private property you should ask the owner of property for cuttings ( a rose growers ethical practice )

PS nice pic thanks for the added growing info Enjoy

• magical_isis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the info! I'm obviously not too well versed in roses...We have such an upside-down climate - things have been bursting in to bloom this month after a brutal summer so all these amazing flowers are showing up now!

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

'Mermaid'.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

I think it's Mermaid, too.

If it has thorns like fishhooks & smells divine, I'd bet on it.

You can grow Mermaid from cuttings very easily, but you need a huge space for it;
    I had one once, & had to have it removed when it grew so big that I couldn't get out of the house when rain bowed down the canes!

but it was heavenly for scent, for wildlife habitat, & for its evergreen foliage.