Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My unknown rose

Posted by beckilove Z5a IA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 07 at 16:12

Hi! I bought this rose about 6-7 years ago at Walmart on clearance for probably $3. I have only this year become much more garden minded, and want to have the names of everything! I am hoping that maybe someone here can help me! This year is the biggest it's been - it's about 3 1/2' to 4' tall and had bloomed all season long. From looking at books, I am guessing it to be a hybrid tea, but that is a very uneducated guess! Thank you for any help you can give!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Becki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My unknown rose

If it helps at all, I just counted the petals on one flower, and got 53. It is also quite fragrant. Okay, and thinking not a hybrid tea anymore, as it has usually more than one bud per stem. Thanks!
Becki

o

Hybrid tea roses often have side buds, as is shown in your photo. Weather and other factors can affect petal count.

It could be any number of roses in that color range. One it reminds me of is Fragrant Cloud (which most everyone finds very fragrant, as its name suggests).

I'll put a link to photos on the HelpMeFind website. Click on the thumbnail to see an enlarged photo and click on the Rose tab for a description:

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of Fragrant Cloud

o

That was the first one came to my mind was Fragrant Cloud, too. I also have one from WalMart I got on sale 4 or 5 years ago. It just had several nice big blooms with this cooler weather we're having, so I have recently seen the blooms and it does remind me of them.

o

Thank you! I have looked at the Fragrant Cloud info, and although it looks a lot like it, I have never seen any orangy color to it. Plus, I am in zone 5, where it reaches well below 20 degrees in the winter, and Fragrant Cloud is more suited for zones 8-10, according to that website. I've sadly never even protected it over the winter. But, it does look quite alike...

Thank you!
Becki

o

try using that same tool that's posted above and put in what you know (blackspot? size? fragrance?) - the rose looks really familiar I just can't place it right now

o

Tropicana.

o

Thank you SO MUCH!! I am pretty sure that is what it is! I remember buying one of those, but I thought it was one that didn't make it! Yay! Thank you, buffbeauty!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here