Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronn_bonites

Dark red Hybrid Tea in need of ID.

Ronn Bonites
10 years ago

Just bought a new rose today and I'd like to know its name if anyone can identify it for future reference in case I want to breed it.

Please and Thank you!

Oh, and if the pictures aren't clear enough, I'll try and replace them with better ones.

Comments (20)

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A bud that's about to open. Note the dark red part of the stem close to the sepals.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The whole plant.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A better picture of the flower.

This post was edited by Resolute_Noir on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 6:23

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Were there any tags on it? Where did you buy it? There are several red hybrid teas it could be.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope. Our local nursery has no tags for Roses and they pretty much label them just by color.

Also, I don't know if this helps but a thing to note about this one is it sometimes appear black under dim lighting and under further inspection, it appears to be nearly thornless.

Could it be that it's just too young to produce thorns yet?

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've measured the plant to be 3.2 feet tall and I found something interesting that could help identify it.

There are these "wings" around under the flower. (Circled in red) They look like a pair of a single leaflet each around the base of the flower. I suspect them to be "bracts" or a deformed part of the calyx. I'm really sorry that I can't describe them in more accurate terms. I'm just a college student so I'm not yet familiar with the appropriate terms.

These are also noticeable in the photos I've posted before if you look at the first leaflet sets right after the flowers.

Anyway, I think that could help narrow down the list of dark red HTs my plant could resemble.

• petaloid
    10 years ago

I do not know what rose varieties are sold in the Philippines . It may be a variety that is also popular in the continental U.S., where most folks here are located.

Could you describe the color, as you see it? Is it a warmer red verging on dark orange, a cooler red verging on burgundy, or something else?

How would you describe the fragrance?

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The red is leaning more towards a cooler hue and is sort of burgundy in the shade, pinkish in the light, and sometimes looks almost black when it's very dark.

It has a mild sweet smell but only when you poke your nose into the flower. Literally.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of the flowers shed its petals in the wind today and I was able to pick up some of them.

This a picture of the petals in low lighting.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And a pic of the petals under a light. (My camera's flash)

They're actually a lot more vibrant than this but my camera doesn't pick up red too well.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You may have noticed by now that there's a single petal with a single stripe among them. The stripe's color is exactly the same color my camera picked up here.

Here's a closer view of the petals with the striped one as the center of attention.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I don't know if it would be available in the Phillipines but a fairly common and popular one is Lavaglut.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm... Lavaglut looks pretty close to my rose, even the foliage. Some pictures of Lavaglut have the reddish part of the stem underneath the flowers like mine while some don't. I dunno about the "wings" I mentioned before but it's the closest match so far.

Thanks seil!

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I've come across American Glory on HMF and it's also another close match. It even has the "wings" my rose has.

HMF also says it has none to mild damask fragrance, I've never encountered nor smelled damask roses or perfumes before so I dunno about that.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Kinda reminds me of CRIMSON BOUQUET. I had it yrs ago, but it died on me. I don't know if it has any scent. And HMF doesn't mention scent. But it sort of looks like it. I see a darker almost black edge on it, and that's a characteristic of CB. Being a Kordes rose, it would probably be readily available overseas.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flower-wise it does look like Crimson Bouquet, but plant-wise it looks like American Glory.

Could it be a seedling of AG and CB? Nah, I know roses hybrids don't work that way. lol.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

Lavaglut is a Floribunda and is really dark red. The total height of the bloom is much smaller than yours.
    How many petals does it have. I have a petal count of all my plants for ID purposes.
    Does it have fragrance?
    The stems look to be almost thornless.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well it doesn't look like a Floribunda to me so Lavaglut is out. I've counted it to have 28+ petals and has a faint sweet tea-like fragrance and yes it is quite thornless.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

The "wings" are just stipules etc. and are a very common feature.

Here is a link that might be useful: How can I identify a mystery rose?

This post was edited by bboy on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 14:55

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see. That was the first time I noticed bracts on a rose before. I saw it on every other rose I bought after it though. XD

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler