Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody know this yellow rose?

Posted by sarrahanne 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 9, 05 at 10:58

Hello,

I just bought a house and 'inherited' six rather neglected roses. They are growing in full sun, but I don't think they have been fed or pruned for quite some time. Some of them have spotting and discoloration as well. I am not sure if they can all be saved, but there are a couple that seem okay. My favorite is this yellow rose. It is rather large and seems to bloom singly (not in clusters.) I counted 25 petals and it has hooked thorns. Although the foliage is a dark glossy green, new sprouts are lighter and edged in red. It does have a light fragrance. At first I thought it was a little spicy, but every time I smell it, it's different... fruity now. I have additional pictures of at the link below.

I would really appreciate any help given!

Thanks!
-sarah

Image link: Anybody know this yellow rose? (41 k)

Here is a link that might be useful: More Pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody know this yellow rose?

It looks like you have either SunFlare of SunSprite. SunSprite is more bright yellow, which your bud shows, but SunFlare is more likely because the bloom itsself is not as yellow. Look it up on helpmefind.com you can see pics here. It is a beautiful rose BTW! :)

Jen

o

I would swear it's Maigold. There is a photo that looks exactly like it in the book called Gardening Easy - Roses for a beautiful garden, edited by Geoff Bryant; see page 72 for photo. Described as large-flowered climber, a Kordes rose bred in 1953; here's an edited description: 14 petals fade quickly in hot climates; frangrance very strong; growth very thorny and upright to 2m (6 feet) or more. Its chief virtue is that is heralds the rose season as it flowers very early, with no repeat. Flowering period is short in warm areas which makes Maigold more suitable for cold climates. It will withstand very frosty winters.

Does that sound like it?
Janine

o

It's a little tough to tell from the picture, but it looks an awful lot like Sunsprite.

Here's another view:

I love this rose. Very healthy, very floriferous (covered with blooms and buds today, the day before Thanksgiving) and nicely fragrant.

o

Looks like Golden Showers to me.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Showers on HelpMeFind

o

If it isn't a climber then it could be Sunflare. Sunsprite has a strong fragrance and doesn't fade to a lighter yellow like yours in your pictures. I had it for 20 years up north.

o

If the bloom lasts more than 15 minutes, it's not Golden Showers.

o

Although that rose has some powdery mildew (which I'd expect on Golden Showers, Golden Showers has dark filaments and dark stamens. This one does not.

Furthermore, GS does not have prickles like that on the peduncle--in my experience, anyway.

Nor do I remember prickles like that on Sunflare. The hip also doesn't look like that I'd expect on Sunflare.

I'm not familiar enough with Sunsprite to comment on what it might look like at that time of the year. Maybe someone else can suggest something.

Peter

o

Hello,

Thank you so much everybody for the suggestions. After some major weeding and trimming, I found a little metal tag hiding between some old growth. Apparently it is an 'allspice' rose (from Armstrong?). I haven't been able to find out much more information than that. After a little bit of care, it has really bounced back. Since I am new to rose care, I am so timid about cutting it back!

One down, six more to go... if only I could find tags on the rest of them!

o

Try this link to Allspice at HelpMeFind roses

Here is a link that might be useful: Allspice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here