Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multiflora or other?

Posted by musebox 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 11:09

Hopefully, someone can help me to identify a new purchase from Lowes. It was simply labeled Bud and Bloom Rose, but after searching online for similar looking flowers/roses, the closest I can find is the Multiflora Rose. But would this be sold if it is considered an invasive species? Are there other rose bushes that resemble the Multiflora Rose?

It is in a small to medium sized bush form with small white flowers (five single petals on each). The leaves are small and glossy with faint toothing on them. I do not see any hips though. Small thorns are present on the stalks, but I did not check the base of the canes. Also, before purchasing it I checked the flowers for fragrance, which was present; but now I don't detect any fragrance, so maybe my sniffer was or is off!

I will try to post a picture soon, but does anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multiflora or other?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 18:58

I can't imagine that they'd be selling multiflora. If a plant was grafted on multiflora and then died it is possible that the root stock came back instead.

My other thought is that perhaps it could be Sally Holmes which is a very popular 5 petaled white rose.

o

The plant you bought died and you got rootstock. But most of the growers use Dr Huey which is a open red colored blossom with yellow at the base

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 15:12

If you just bought it pure Rosa multiflora would not be in bloom now, and the long, arching first year canes would have had to have been whacked back to fit a blooming sized plant into the usual retail situation - unless it was trained onto a trellis or other support and sold as an established climber.

Except where an R. multiflora seedling variant might have come up as a Multiflora rose, that is one producing re-blooming bush growth instead of rambling. But it is much more likely that you have bought one of the hybrid roses that may often have R. multiflora in their parentage, resemble it to varying degrees. One looking generally like R. multiflora (whatever its actual parentage, which I would have to look up) that was at several outlets here this year was Gourmet Popcorn. Another one that tends to be seen at independent garden centers is 'Ballerina'. But there are many possibilities, the R. multiflora appearance - with more or less conical heads of small white or pink flowers - is not rare among garden roses, both old and new.

Here is a link that might be useful: How can I identify a mystery rose?

This post was edited by bboy on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 15:20

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here