Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
epiphany_gw

HT incredible orange color

epiphany
18 years ago

This is from Dian's garden. Her Dad bought a lot of roses in the 80's and many have lost their tags. This one is the most incredible orange color; it looks like freshly squeezed orange juice with darker outer petals. They are slightly darker with a coral coloring. Didn't really note the fragrance and it is about 3' high or so.

I'm hoping someone may have some clue as to what this is by the pronounced coloring.

{{gwi:1232114}}

Comments (13)

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

The coral on the outer ring of petals shows it to be a "sun-blusher" rose. At this time of year in the northern hemisphere, solar ultraviolet (which is what makes sun-blushing happen) is getting close to its lowest level - so, sunblushing is much less intense than when the sun is in a higher path in the sky.
    Thus, my "first impression" guess of the rose's identity is the hybrid-tea Chris Evert. BUT... that rose wasn't introduced until 1996.
    And, because we have no info about leaf-color and glossiness, bloom-habit (blooms come mostly singly - or in clusters?), fragrance-level, etc, etc... there are several other possible identity candidates. ;-) For example, the rose might be Arizona (1975 intro - and also a sunblusher) showing its cool-weather hues.
    The coral-colored "blushing" is an important identity-clue.
    Regards,
    JohnReb

• msjean
    18 years ago

I think your rose may be "Gold Medal".

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold Medal at HMF

• epiphany
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you both for your responses.
    msjean - not Gold Medal. Color is not close and I do grow it myself.
    JohnReb I usually would post photos of everything from sepals to prickles but simply don't have them this time. It blooms as a HT in singles, that I know. But the photo was not shot in fall - it was shot at the height of summer and again, what is most prominent is the incredible luminous orange color. I don't actually remember seeing this which any more blushing than you see in the photos.
    But my memory could be wrong. ;-)

• Sconey
    18 years ago

I'll make a guess... looks a lot like my Sultry.

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Not likely to be Sultry (one of my favorite hybrid-tea roses, I have three Sultry bushes in my yard). Sultry was introduced in 2001, and Epiphany indicated the mystery-rose was probably purchased in the 1980s.

Hey Epiphany, do you know if Dian (or her dad) added any to the garden since then (and when)? If they didn't, we "ID-guessers" will know to exclude any rose younger than 1990 or thereabouts.
    Regards,
    JohnReb

• ymfoster
    18 years ago

It looks like 'Sundance'that has just been posted at the link below,

Hope it helps,
    Cheers Yvonne F.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find

• ymfoster
    18 years ago

Here's another page of more photos,
    Cheers, Yvonne F.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find

• epiphany
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help. No, these mystery roses would be pre 1990 for sure. He bought a lot of Brownell roses including Charlotte Brownell, Dr Brownell, and Maria Stern.

Does anyone grow Maria Stern? Can you tell me the true color of it?

• petaloid
    18 years ago

Below is a link to HelpMeFind's listing for Maria Stern. You can click on the "photos" tab for several pictures, all of which look darker than your rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maria Stern

• petaloid
    18 years ago

Below is the link to a list of Brownell-bred roses with descriptions. Many include photos:

Here is a link that might be useful: Brownell roses

• neroseman
    18 years ago

It looks rather like the Brownell rose 'Orange Everglow' to me. The basic orange color is tinted with red & pink shades with 'OE'. 'Maria Stern' doesn't do that.

• epiphany
    Original Author
    18 years ago

NERM
    Thanks for your input. Dian can't find all her father's invoices; she thought she still had them. But since he was given to ordering Brownells if the color is right, it is a good possibility.

• vissara
    18 years ago

Could well be Cary Grant. It was released in the 80s and can hit that tangerine color in hot weather.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator