Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nina_gretta

several roses needing ID

nina_gretta
18 years ago

I got them with the house. They are doing great since I put them on drip lines. Any help would be great.

Comments (5)

• nina_gretta
    Original Author
    18 years ago

sorry link didn't stick!!

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Most homeowners do not seem to be willing to pay top-dollar at a "real" nursery to buy the Patented rose-varieties ...preferring instead the cheap expired-patent (older) varieites sold by WalMart, Home Depot, etc. Translation: your roses are most likely to be expired-patent varieties.
    Such as:
    Your "red-&-white" rose is definitely Double Delight (1977).
    Your "pinkish-purple" rose (note the ruffley petals) is probably Angel Face (1968).
    Your "red strong smell" rose could be Mr. Lincoln (1964). Note: Its petals show no quilling.

I need to state specifically that Angel Face and Mr. Lincoln are just "eyeball guesses" - because we've been given no descriptive info to aid the photos.

Hoping some of this info is helpful,
    JohnReb

• nina_gretta
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got under the thorny treasurs!!(OUTCH) I found some small metal tags that say J&P. one said Tigress (that one I do not have a pict of) the red and white said Cherry Parfait, the peach one said Brandy (Arocad),and the Lg red, that smells good, indead said Mister LincolnB But it has a paper tag not a metal J&P one. Is this good? are they better qualty roses? I'm new to roses and don't want to kill them. any special care they need.
    Thanks

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Hi there,

You have some good roses. I have Mr. Lincoln, he doesnt bloom as much as I'd like and blows fast in hot weather. But he smells heavenly. Spray him for mildew and BS. Brandy loves the summer weather and should do well for you. She is a gorgeous rose. I think Cherry Parfait is a slow starter, but reliable. No special care in your zone but maybe dressing with compost, fertilizing and spraying religiously. Good luck!

Jen

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

I said your red-&-white rose was Double Delight because your photo of it showed "almost-black" edges on its outer petals. In my rosegarden I've seen lots of Double Delight blooms with almost-black edges, but never a Cherry Parfait bloom with "almost-black" edges. Yet when I checked HelpMeFind's photo gallery of Cherry Parfait pictures I saw one bloom with almost-black edges.

Cherry Parfait's fragrance is rated as mild, while Double Delight's is rated as strong. Also, CP is in the Grandiflora class, while Double Delight is in the Hybrid Tea class.

To settle my uncertainty about your red-&-white rose's identity, please let me know whether your red-&-white rose's fragrance is mild or strong.

Regards,
    JohnReb

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz