Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Please ID this old cottage rose

Hi! I was hoping you guys could ID this old rose for me. My grandmother gave it to my mother more than twenty-five years ago. It may be a species rose, but im not positive. I posted this pic on the cottage gardens gallery along with ones of my garden, and someone suggested that it may be a ramber rose. Thats very likely, as the new canes on it often shoot up eight feet before I prune them. Its a repeat bloomer and has a wonderful spicy fragrance. It has many blooms per stem, and its leaves are dark and shiny. Thanks a bunch guys!

{{gwi:1222738}}

CMK

Comments (4)

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

Wow, nice rose. I am not much help but I can tell you what you can eliminate...it is not a species rose-they are generally single or almost single and only a very few of those repeat. Repeat means you eliminate Centifolias Gallicas and Damasks...and too tall for a Damask perpetual(or Portland) Shiny foliage says more modern versus very old(and it repeats) 25 years put it before most of the modern 'Old Fashioned'..like Austins. It could be a Bourbon of some sort or a Hybrid Perpetual. Geschwind created a lot of cottagy short climbers-that would be some place else to check. Ramblers do not repeat-well not enough to be called repeat-they throw out the occasional fall flower bunch. You dont know where your Grandmother got it?

patricia

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Patricia! I asked my mother where my grandmother got the rose, and she thinks grandma may have had it in her own garden for many years. My rose has had several offspring, which I believe are from the roots of the main bush. Im not sure if that helps in the Id at all. If theres any more info I can give on it please let me know. Thanks a bunch!
    CMK

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

CMK-basically you need to take more photos..to Id a rose you need a picture of thorns, foliage-the base of the leaf, pictures of sepals(green bits behind the rose) You need pictures of the receptacle or hip if it makes any and if you do all these things most likely you still wont know that it is. Sounds like your rose suckers. That is useful but fairly modern roses will do that...like those Geschwind rose I mentioned. Do you spray this rose? It is remarkably clean. Bourbons and HPs both tend to blackspot but it doesn't mean it is not one of those. I dont get over to this part of the forum often...glad I did.

patricia

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for all your help Patricia. Unfortunantly I dont have any up-close photos of the flowers, leaves, or its very thorny stems. I suppose ill just have to repost in the spring when the rose blooms. Last spring I successfully transplanted several of the little suckers to other areas of my garden, and they took off fairly quickly. This rose is suseptable to blackspot, which mainly appears on the leaves of the older stems. But this blackspot is not a yearly occurence, most of the time it is very healthy. The stems on the rose are very erect, so it may be some sort of shrub rose. I wish I had lots of space for him, I have a feeling this rose would make a wonderfully huge shrub if given the room.
    CMK

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21