Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newsview

My favorite rose ever but I don't know the name!

newsview
17 years ago

Good afternoon,

This is my first post and what inspired me to join Garden Web. Back in November 2000, I had just purchased my first digital camera  all of 1.3MP  with which I captured the following rose while visiting family members in Hemet, CA. This beauty was in the landscaping outside an assisted living facility. The bush itself wasn't too big, and still quite low to the ground (as I recall). The bloom was average in size (not a mini or tea rose type). It was freestanding and not against a wall or fence. Other than that, I don't remember many details aside from what the camera captured. I'm hoping someone here can help me ID this rose because I am hoping to locate this variety to plant in memory of my departed relative. I thought it would be simple to ID the rose but in the years since I've asked local rose enthusiasts, among others, and can't seem to come up with a name. Most recently, I visited the Heritage Rose Website and the closest color match I could come up with was "Night Light"  except the petal configuration is quite different.

I would be most grateful for postings that contain links that depict or sell whatever type of rose this is. Thanks!

Image link:

Comments (14)

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

Not sure but how about Glowing Peace. It used to be pretty popular at garden centers. 2nd page of the photos you'll see this pic.

I have this rose, and depending on what camera I'm using, & weather; it appears similar to what you posted.

Also check out Abracadabra

• newsview
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The second HMF image from the end, when enlarged, seems to be the closest color match to the photo that IÂve seen yet (due to the canary yellow as the dominant tone and the purple-pink edging)! I am very appreciative of your reply particularly because I had never considered Glowing Peace (having only come across Peace, Desert Peace and Chicago Peace in my searches thus far). One curiosity question I have is whether Glowing Peace would have been commercially available in 2000. I read that Glowing Peace was the AARS 2001 winner  the year after I snapped the photo. Is it possible for an ARS winner to be declared after a particular rose becomes commercially available?

As a rose newbie what I find most surprising is how much color and pattern variation there is within a single species/variety. I Googled Glowing Peace and noticed some significant shifts in the predominant color ranging from a buttery yellow to orange and gold tones or pink/blush tones (some with milky white/cream undertones). Likewise, I noticed that many of the Glowing Peace images depicted an apricot blush or blend from the outer edges of the petals gradually toward the center vs. an accent-like color that is confined  as is the case with the magenta petal edging in my picture  mostly to the petals perimeter. It amazes me that so much variation, particularly where color patterns are concerned, applies to the same rose! Other than "Double Delight", the roses I have had throughout my life were single-color roses such that I noticed only a fading or darkening effect as the bloom ages. But with these multi-color varieties it as if they are chameleons of sorts! (Which is probably why I have had such a hard time identifying the rose with which I opened this thread.)

In the meantime, I'm making notes of roses that I would like to plant and Glowing Peace has definitely made my list of "must haves"! Others I've taken interest in are Heart of Gold, Sheila's Perfume, Joseph's Coat, Rio Samba, Rainbow Sorbet, Chris Evert, Chicago Peace and Day Breaker). Before I know it, I will have acquired a sizeable rose garden to keep company with my established bushes (inherited from a previous homeowner)! Thanks, again, for the help! And by all means, if you or anyone else have a picture/link to post or an additional suggestion please do!

• jbculpepper
    17 years ago

I would have guessed Chicago Peace - but have not ever seen Glowing Peace. I just picked up a Chicago Peace at a nursery and the variation between bushes is pretty big sometimes; so single examples in books don't always capture it. This of course is just a guess.

• newsview
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Perhaps what I should do is purchase all the "Peace" varieties. They are ALL gorgeous. As a rose gardening newbie, I feel as if I've been bitten by "the rose bug" (not, of course, the garden pest type but the rose loving type :-). Another rose I came across that I plan on purchasing is Disneyland. I love the rainbow tones! In my searches at local nurseries I also came across Redgold, Voodoo and Moon Shadow, which I couldn't pass up.

• ronda_in_carolina
    17 years ago

It looks a LOT like my Love and Peace.

{{gwi:236706}}

{{gwi:314115}}

• labrea_gw
    17 years ago

Looks Like Peace thats been a bit oversaturated.

• ronda_in_carolina
    17 years ago

Do you mean my picture is not true in color or that Love and Peace is a deeper coloration of Peace?

My camera is very true in color and doesnt even distort reds. Olympus 3030

I am also posting a pic of the bud from this same plant so color can be seen in early stages:

• labrea_gw
    17 years ago

No the original photo in question I have Love and Peace also your photo is beautiful but that original photo looks to have a blusih cast in its background which would give a pale pink that more magenta shading and in that case pale pink light yellow is original peace to me.

• ronda_in_carolina
    17 years ago

Ahhh....

I was assuming that if the bluish cast was removed the blushing on the rose would go more red and thus look like my 'Love and Peace'. The 'Peace' I had died in short order so I dont have much experience with the look of 'Peace' blooms.

I really hate it that all the members of the Peace rose family are so fussy. In my climate they require spraying and since I don't spray I just cannot grow them. The coloration and fullness steals my heart everytime. Lovely, lovely rose.

• patricianat
    17 years ago

Desert Peace.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

wow I haven't heard the name (of the place) Hemet in 20 years! Forgot it even existed. Went through there once. Flashback.

• boisenoise
    16 years ago

It looks a lot like 'Distant Drums' to me, but if there's truly a blueish cast to the photo, that might be the reason.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Definitely look up Desert Peace. I had desert peace but no longer have it. The only picture I have in my roses of it is one that is about to blow.

From help me find, http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1511&tab=10

• patricianat
    16 years ago

This is a picture of Desert Peace when it was about to shatter. I do not have a bloom when it is in bud or bloom, because it had RMV and I shovel-pruned it shortly after this picture was taken, but it looked exactly like your picture when it was in bloom and healthy but it declined and this was its last year in my garden and perhaps the last bloom.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996