Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Queen of Sweden or Geoff Hamilton?

Posted by StarSeven7 6a/SW ON (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 11 at 15:54

I bought this Austin rose this summer and it was labeled L.D. Braithwaite. After it started blooming pale pink, I realized it must have been mislabeled! I started thinking it was Queen of Sweden and even emailed pictures to the David Austin offices and they agreed with me. But after looking at more pictures of Queen of Sweden and comparing it to my rose, I think maybe it looks more like the pictures of Geoff Hamilton that I've seen. Anyone care to weigh in? Thanks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Queen of Sweden or Geoff Hamilton?

I agree with you that it looks more like Geoff Hamilton. Queen of Sweden's branches are more upright. How does your rose smell like? Light myrrh as of Queen of Sweden, or like the catalog describes for Geoff Hamilton: light Old Rose fragrance with a hint of apple.

o

I think its Geoff Hamilton. I have QoS and she is not as globular in form. She's more flat when opened. See the pic.

o

StarSeven7,
Have you considered that this may be Kathryn Morley? In the photo above, the bloom appears to be held on a long stem. That fits David Austin's own description of Kathryn Morley in his book "David Austin's English Roses" (with photos by Clay Perry). The soft pink color looks like Kathryn as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here