Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosyjennifer

mystery pink rose still no ID 5 years later...

rosyjennifer
14 years ago

It has been a long while since I've posted here - glad to see the forum is still vibrant and fun! Well, the mystery rose I found growing on my 1940's property still has not been ID'd.

Some facts:

shell pink with a slightly darker reverse

carmine in the bud

slight tea/rose/black pepper fragrance in the cooler months

maroon new growth

bush is about 5-6 feet tall 4-5 feet wide

blooms singly and in clusters of 3

blooms about 4 inches across

many blooms nod

about 22 petals

All you lovely people have suggested many roses through the years and I've ordered and compared just about all of them.

This rose is not:

Queen Elizabeth

Radiance

Mrs. E.G. Hill

Betty Uprichard

Mrs. Wakefield-Christie Miller

Lady Alice stanley

September Morn

It might be Lady Mary Fitzwilliam but the blasted squirrels are all 3 buds off my bitty band, so i'll have to protect her and wait for next year.

I'm going to try to post some older pics and an arrangement i just made from this year's last flowers.

Enjoy and thanks for any leads!

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful: older pics

Comments (7)

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry - can't fix/enlarge photo and DD isn't home to help! : )

• hikerman
    14 years ago

I'm no expert but check out La France on HMF. Looks close to me.

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I checked out La france on HMF and some pictures look very close. I always thought La F. had a lot of petals - more than my rose - but I read that it can have only 26. Maybe you have an ID. : ) Thanks. I'll put La F. on my spring order and post back.

Thanks for your reply!

• hartwood
    14 years ago

Out of the ones you are considering for possible IDs, I grow Radiance, Mrs. Wakefield-Christie Miller, Lady Alice Stanley, and La France. I don't think your rose is any of these ... I think it's the gold tinge to the bottom of the petals of your rose is a good clue. Neither Mrs. WC Miller or Lady Alice have this ... and their petal reverses are distinctly darker than the fronts. Your photos do show a rose with similarities to La France, but that tinge of gold is getting me again.

I can't give you an answer right now, but we may be able to get closer to solving your mystery when my roses start to bloom. You're in Maryland, just a short drive from here ... when summer comes, let's arrange a visit if you'd like to do some comparisons in person.

Connie

• trospero
    14 years ago

Its definitely not 'La France' which has much more matte foliage than your rose. 'La France' never displays any hint of peach, it is always a clear, cool pink, and heavily scented. Your rose is much more modern than that.

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi and happy Valentine's Day!

Connie, thanks for your reply! Yes, I agree, the slight yellow at the base (more apparent in cooler months)eliminated the roses on your list when I compared the plants.

Thank you for the info on La France, trospero. I haven't grown this rose, but was going to order it in the spring for comparison.

I'm still leaning toward Mrs. Wakefield Christie Miller, which is now under 4 feet of snow. I hope I didn't lose her and am able to keep the squirrels away from her buds long enough to see a bloom! : )

Of course, I keep dreaming that my rose is the long lost HT My Maryland (1908) which she closely resembles in a watercolor in the book The Old Rose Adventurer by Brent Dickerson...

Thank you again for your responses!

• emmiegray1
    14 years ago

The written description, especially the darker reverse, reminded me of Duet, the photo looks a bit like Peggy Lee. I can dig up a Peggy lee photo...

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm