Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madcitymike

An old favorite....................

madcitymike
18 years ago

This rose was tagged "Summer Fashion" when I bought it, but a discussion in the Rose Gallery forum has convinced me that it's not. Anyone like to make a guess?

Comments (3)

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

You gave us no ID-clues except what we can see in the photo ...but it shows the strong petal-quilling and dark-green, glossy foliage which match up with Kordes Perfecta, a 1957 Hybrid Tea rose.

You can compare your rose's ID-characteristics with those of Kordes Perfecta at the following URL (and be sure to click the Photos tab on that webpage, or use the hotlink at the end of this post)...
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=12105

Regards,
    JohnReb

Here is a link that might be useful: Kordes Perfecta webpage at HelpMeFind dotcom

• madcitymike
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion John and I'm sorry I didn't include more info. For future reference,can you tell me what other info would be most helpful in identifying this mystery plant?

Thanks again

Mike

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Happy to help, Mike. Just below the title of this forum a line says "Before posting a question [ID-request], please read the FAQ." But the FAQ is overly-complicated, in my opinion. So, here are some the the major "ID-clues" that will be the most helpful to hear about.

Bloom Habit: Do the blooms come mostly as long-stemmed singles, mostly in short-stemmed clusters, or a combination of both?
    Bloom-Form: High-centered, globular, cupped, flat, pompom, etc?
    Prickles: Does the stem right underneath the bloom usually have tiny needle-like prickles on it? (Lots, a few, or none?)
    Foliage Characteristics: (1) Are the leaves light-green, medium-green, or dark-green? (2) Are they glossy, semi-glossy, or "matte" (no gloss)? Is their texture leathery or non-leathery?
    New-Growth Color: Is it red, burgundy, bronze, or green?
    Bush-Age: Any idea how long the bush has been in its present location?
    Source: You bought it at a "real" nursery, or at a big-box store (WalMart, Home Depot, etc), or "it came with the house"? Bought as a bagged bareroot plant, or leafed-out in a plastic pot?
    Current bush-size & growth-habit: Mini-size, 3', 5', 7', or has Climber-type canes?
    Bush-Labeling: Did it come with a metal ID-tag or just a paper/cardboard/plastic label?

Bloom Characteristics, such as:
    Petal-reverse color: Is it lighter, about the same, or darker than the "main" side?
    Petal-substance: Is the petals' texture velvety, plain, or "veiny"? Kleenex-flexible, or kinda stiff?
    Color-fading: severe, moderate, or slight?
    Petal-phototropism: None, mild, or strong? Instead of fading, some roses get a red, pink, orange, or purple "blush" after exposure to ultraviolet rays in direct sunlight. (This is called Phototropism or "sunblushing.") Some examples of sunblusher varieties are Double Delight, Paradise, Gemini, Chris Evert, Arizona, and Octoberfest.
    Average-petal-count per bloom" Count the petals from six blooms, then divide the total number of petals by six.
    Bloom-lifespan: How many days does the bloom "look good" before it is spent? (Start from when the bud's petals are unfurling.)
    Bloom Opening-Speed: Does the bloom open to full really fast, or "about average," or significantly slowly? (Note, this is different from Bloom-Lifespan.)
    Do the SPENT bloom's petals tend to fall off all at once, or cling even after they're dead ...or a mix of both?
    Do the petals "quill" strongly, mildly, or not at all?
    Comparative Fragrance-Level: none, slight, light/mild, moderate/medium, strong, or intense?
    Petal Attachment-tip Color: Before the bloom is fully opened, is the color of the petal-base's tip white, nearly-white, butter-yellow, or deep-yellow?
    Comparative Thorniness: few, average, extreme?
    Hips: No, yes (and if yes, their color?)

I'm sure somebody will remind me of any other significant ID-clues I've forgotten. : )

Regards,
    JohnReb

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living