Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Doe deserves his rightful name

Posted by DisplacedClevelander 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 23:33

Before I really got into roses, I bought this awesome rose at Costco. Shoved it in the ground. Tossed out the container (with the name on it) and forgot about it. In the interim, this little shrub has turned out to be such a gem...! Thanks to this shrub, I've gained the confidence to grow since have planted 10 or so more.

I'm guessing that he is Oktoberfest but I could totally be wrong.

Description:
-- He is leggy like a hybrid tea. Each bloom is unique and the colors are definitely an orange blend. Orange. A bit of yellow. Light pink melting into hot pink. The intensity of the color changes with the heat. Normal thorns. Winter hardy (at least for my zone) and seems to be pretty disease resistant. Nice dark green foliage. No fragrance whatsoever (which is a total bummer). He is quite the stunner. If he was fragrant, Liberace would be an appropriate name.

I've labeled the mystery rose as an Oktoberfest but that's just a guess. If you click on the second page of photos, you'll see more photos of him. His colors really lightened up in the intense heat. As I was looking at my photos, I realized that I mislabeled Scentimental as Scentsational in one of the photos-- my apologies.

Thank you in advance for your help with this! You have no idea how excited/hopeful I am that someone on here can identify my John Doe for me!

Can't figure out how to post photos (read & reread the instructions) so I apologize for the extra work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loudgazelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Doe deserves his rightful name

Have you checked HelpMeFind? I find it very helpful, and will put a link below to the Oktoberfest listing -- check the photos tab for more pictures:

Here is a link that might be useful: Oktoberfest

o

Here is a picture that I uploaded of the mystery rose.

o

Whoops! Accidentally hit submit before I intended to.. Here is a second photo of this mystery rose.

o

Sometimes rose colors change with the temperature and climate. Your Mister Lincoln looks very bright/vivid. I'll admit, I'm an amateur rose grower, but check out Colorific.

You also said "little shrub." Is the plant a miniature bush? If so, it could be Hot Tamale. Those are my guesses.

o

No, it's definitely not a miniature bush. I meant little in fullness. Granted, it is only two years old so it still have some filling out to do but I am 99.99% sure it's not a miniature bush (considering how big those blooms are).

Thanks so much for your guess! Also appreciate the kind words about my Mister Lincoln. He is super bright, especially paired next to Oklahoma.

Will be sure to check out Colorific! Again, thanks for helping me on my quest to identify my John Doe!

o

You wouldn't believe this. I was just browsing through the roses on sale on a website, and I think I found your mystery rose!

Perfect Moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Quest

o

AHHH!!!! YES!!!! Holy smokes!! You are right!! That is awesome. John Doe no more! So excited. Thank you. You just made my night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here