Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aoibara

Unknown red rose from Lowe's.

aoibara
14 years ago

I bought an unknown red rose from Lowe's last weekend - mostly because it was so beautiful. Anyway, it came in a 3 gallon container and was sold to Lowe's by Dewar Nurseries in Apopka, Florida. It has what I would call a slight to moderate fragrance, depending on the weather, and the growth seems robust and thorny. The red does NOT fade with age - in fact, it darkens a bit around the edges of the petals - and is very vibrant and velvety-looking.

I tried calling Dewar to ask them what it was, but they really could only guess. They get their stock from various little places and don't bother to keep firm track of the real names of the roses.

I have uploaded several pictures of the rose, including one of the center/inside and a close-up of one of the leaves. (Unfortunately, the flash washed out the color in some of the pictures, but it wasn't used on all.) They can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45592076@N06/sets/72157622937946181/

And I will include the picture from the first time I saw the rose - no flash. :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• petaloid
    14 years ago

That certainly is a pretty rose -- I want one!

There are, of course, many possibilities, but you might take a look at Ingrid Bergman. My brief research shows that variety has been sold at some Lowe's.

It is as you describe and, to me, has similarities to the photos on your link.

I will put a link to the first of several pages of photos on HelpMeFind:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ingrid Bergman

• petaloid
    14 years ago

I do not know if your Lowe's would have carried this, but another rose that looks similar, to me, is Kardinal '85. I'll put another link below to more photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kardinal '85 photos

• petaloid
    14 years ago

On second thought, Kardinal might be a bit too bright red.

Kentucky Derby also comes to mind, an older variety which is darker red. I'll link to photos below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kentucky Derby

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

I think the three most popular reds sold at garden centers are Ingrid Bergman, Chrysler Imperial and Mister Lincoln. Too many petals for Mister Lincoln. I too thought of Ingrid Bergman or Chrysler Imperial. We may get a better chance of IDing once the plant matures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chrysler Imperial info at Helpmefind.com

• aoibara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you (all) for your help!

I don't think it's Chrysler Imperial, because the scent is different. Not sure about Ingrid Bergman...Kardinal 85 looks similar, agreed, but it says good disease resistance and my mystery rose is susceptible to black spot. Kentucky Derby might not have enough petals and the bloom seems looser...hmm. The pictures of Ingrid Bergman aren't far off, but don't the flowers don't seem to behave the same once they've bloomed out. It's so difficult!

Oh, and see the link below for the rose that has been in bloom since Christmas Day!! Is that usual for any of these varieties? 10 days of life in the vase and 2 weeks on the bush?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• petaloid
    14 years ago

Please take a look at the link below, the first of several pages of photos of another possibility, Veteran's Honor. Many show foliage and stems, so that could help with identification.

I grow one plant of that variety, and its blooms are extremely long-lasting. I see similarities to yours in shape and color. Fragrance is not strong to my nose. Sometimes the "neck" of the bloom is bent. I can't say whether it blackspots or not, because that disease is uncommon in my climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of Veteran's Honor

• aoibara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe it is Veteran's Honor. (I had initially discounted that because I saw a Veteran's Honor at Home Depot that had small flowers of the wrong shape, but perhaps it was mislabeled.) The leaves do have that distinctive sawed edge, and the bloom form is definitely similar to a lot of those pictures. I couldn't really see any thorns in the pictures, but if Veteran's Honor has incredible thorns, then that would have to be it, I would think. :) Too, since you say the blooms are long-lasting...that really does make it seem like it ought to be Veteran's Honor. (Ironically, I was thinking about getting Veteran's Honor before I found this rose bush. It would be quite funny if I bought it all unknowing!)

Ohh, I envy you! You live in the perfect rose climate! Florida has got to be the worst place to grow roses (aside from the far, far north). Thank you for your help!

• petaloid
    14 years ago

You're welcome. No guarantees, with many red hybrid teas on the market, but I'm glad to hear that Veteran's Honor is a definite possibility, since it's been a consistantly nice variety for us.