Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newsview

Four Mysteries: Pink, Red, Pink & White Mini, Pink/Peach HT

newsview
17 years ago

There are four roses pictured in a single file (less than 60K). I appreciate any attempt to ID one or more of them. Details appear in the picture captions.

Thanks!

Image link:

Comments (26)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

The first looks like Queen Elizabeth.

If you know where they were purchased, that may help.

• newsview
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Diane,

We have similar names. My name is Diana. I don't know if you have people call you the opposite version of the name, but it happens to me all the time ;-). Nice to "meet" you!

In reply to your question, I have no idea where the first two roses were purchased because they were planted on the property before my fiancé moved in. Consequently, I guestimate that the pink and red roses were planted sometime in the 1980s. The last two roses pictured, by contrast, were recent purchases of my own. I can only guess at how long they were in the pot because the nursery I bought them at is not a big-box home improvement store or garden center. The nursery has been around for over 30 years, yet my impression is that sometimes their stock tends to sit for a long while before moving (canÂt beat $5 per bush, though). The last rose pictured is roughly four feet tall and still in a 5-gallon pot! I suspect they were taken off the hands of Costco or Armstrong Garden Centers judging from some of the labels I've spotted while browsing their inventory. Unfortunately, many are now missing their tags  the pink & white mini and the fourth picture of the pink and peach HT or grandiflora being just two of four untagged purchases I am in the process of attempting to ID (with two more pictures coming to a new thread just as soon as I get fresh blooms to photograph).

Thanks for the reply!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Thanks, that helps a little.

I think #4 may be Bella'Roma.

#2 looks kinda like Hot Cocoa, but that was introduced in 2002. Does it get orange at all?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Mini is likely Magic Carrousel

• newsview
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Help Me Find's "Magic Carousel" looks very much like the mini in image #3. The mystery of image #1 and image #3 appears to have been solved!

I was tentatively thinking that image #4 may be Chicago Peace, but I really have no idea because Chicago Peace is very new to me (having never previously grown it).

The red rose in image #2 isn't Hot Cocoa only because it, like the pink rose in image #1, was planted in the 1980s or earlier by a previous homeowner. I tried to self-ID the red rose at HMF, but red roses, in particular, are tricky! My best guess thus far is that it looks somewhat like Mirandy, except that I wouldnÂt characterize the scent as "strong", which is how it is listed at HMF. The fragrance is more moderate to my nose, at least when compared to something like Mister Lincoln, which is more powerful still (my mother-in-law-to-be grows Mister Lincoln, so I am familiar enough with that particular red rose to rule it out). One thing the HMF photos show about Mirandy is that the red tones can shift toward magenta or orange. This is certainly true of my mystery red. Sometimes it has a deeper "true red", but at other times it takes on a magenta tinge or a reddish orange hue (as pictured). Then, again, many red roses probably shift color in a similar way, so it may not be Mirandy, after all. HmmÂ

Thanks again for being so helpful!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

I think #3 has too many petals for Magic Carrosel. This rose looks really familiar but can't put a name to it. I have something similar but still don't know.

• newsview
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, your mini pink and white rose is beautiful!

I noticed that the mini rose in my initial post has a point to each petal, and the petals are rather short but broad. In addition, the formation or configuration of each bloom is very consistent from bloom to bloom. They don't curve or curl downward or droop. Perhaps those are clues? Two of the MC images on HMF looked very much like the mini in image #3, but I hadn't gone so far as to compare the petal count. Good point.

Thanks for the post, lesdvs9!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

I haven't given up on this rose of yours. I didn't have a newer photo of this rose, this was pretty blown on the rose by the time I took this. I was trying to document my new minis to remember each of the colors of the new minis I was trying. This bloomed while I was away and the bloom was several days old. A couple of days fresher the edges wouldn't droop this much. Your mini #3 still looks very familiar though. I've been busy with babysitting grandkids and with X-mas prep. I haven't given up. I don't have much experience yet with the larger roses, but I've always been fascinated with minis. It may take me awhile but I'll be back:) What I was going for are the pink edges on the one you're trying to identify. I don't think mine is quite right either, it's also a very young rose and when it's a larger plant the size of the rose bloom also might be larger, but I think you're correct on the petal count.
    Leslie

• newsview
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the help, Leslie. I only check this forum about once or twice a week, so no need to rush. It's a very busy time of year, after all!

I saw a mini rose photo in a gardening book recently that looked somewhat similar; it was called "Rosy Cheeks". I tried HMF, but there was no photo in the gallery. I also saw this same mini rose at Home Depot, but it was missing the tag!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Diana, I was reading a rose book looking at pictures and came across one that looked remarkably similar to your number 2 rose profile. I think in several photos on HMF it looks like Chrysler Imperial. Leslie

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Diana, how about #4 being Elle, one parent is Chicago Peace, foliage description and flower size and coloring is as described. Many photos on HMF some of them similar to yours. Possible.... Leslie

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF

• newsview
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the helpful tips. Chrysler Imperial looks like a very distinct possibility. I at first thought that the red rose might be Mirandy, but recently also came across Crimson Glory. However, the Chrysler Imperial photos actually look a bit closer (almost identical to some of the pictures I've taken, in fact). Recently, mystery # 4 bloomed again and this time in a totally different color  white with pink edges and a bit of cream at the center. The first three blooms on the bush at the time of purchase were more of a peach/apricot center with pink outer petals. However, I would have to say that Elle's foliage, in particular, are very much like the foliage on my mystery rose # 4. I expect to receive the American Rose Society Encyclopedia (2003) in the mail shortly, which will also help.

Thanks, Leslie! And have a great holiday season!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Diana, you're welcome, I have fun doing this because I'm looking up roses for myself when I came across these:) I'd love to have that Rose Enclycopedia, now that's a nice gift to give yourself! Thanks for the holiday wishes and same to you. I'll keep your others in mind, no luck yet but you never know when you run across one somewhere looking.... Leslie

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    17 years ago

If we had petal counts it would help. Chicago Peace has a lot of petals 50-60, it is a pink and yellow bicolor, with a slight fragrance. # 1 is Queen Elizabeth, the red one, if the neck bends it's Mirandy, New Yorker or Crimson Glory. Mirandy smells good, so does Crimson Glory. The mini I think is Magic Carrousel. I hope this helps!

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    17 years ago

On that mini go to Moores Mini Roses and look at his minis.
    I think it 's one of his that is like Magic Carrousel.

• hanford_rose
    17 years ago

#1 - Your pink HT is most likely 'Queen Elizabeth'.
    #2 - Your red HT could be 'Chrysler Imperial' or 'San Antonio'. CI has a bit more fragrance, but SA make long, strong canes with shiny foliage.
    #3 - Your mini could be 'Magic Carrousel', but I would prefer to judge it with a photo of a newer flower. The aged blooms of several minis look almost identical to MC, because she has been the parent to hundreds of other mini varieties.

Many of those varieties are more prone to disease than the great Hall of Fame Rose, 'Magic Carrousel'. I have had the pleasure of growing MC, since it was introduced in 1972. I have seen thousands of blooms of this rose since then and won numerous trophies with this beautiful mini. It is the first and only mini rose that I am currently growing at my new home. I can't think of a better way to start my new garden.

As for your last rose, I haven't got a clue. Again, a photo of a fresher (not fully open) bloom might make it easier to id.

I hope that I have been able to help you.

For lesdvs...

'Magic Carrousel' has a plenty of petals...at least 30 to 35. That's what has made it such a popular show mini.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Hi Sue! I'm trying to count petals on #3 as well as I can without my eyes crossing. I lost count about 40 something. I think it looks a lot like Magic Carrousel except the petals are still a little different and there are a lot more of them and the center is different. I just got through looking at Digger's excellent examples and came back to look at this one again. I agree, another photo would be nice and a profile photo or a petal count would really help:)
    Leslie

• floridaarkansan
    17 years ago

#3 looks like Child's Play. I don't believe the one named as Chicago Peace is correct. Color is off to me. I grew Chicago Peace in Arkansas.

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

No, I didn't say #4 was Chicago Peace, I said I thought it was a rose called Elle. One of the parent's pollen is from Chicago Peace. It's evident in the colors to me in that rose.:) Not that I'm saying I think #4 is that without a doubt. You're misunderstanding me, but it's ok, I confuse me too sometimes.

• rachel_wa
    16 years ago

Hi, your miniature looks exactly like my Hannah Gordon. The first rose reminds me of the flowers I get on Duet in the winter and the last one looks like my Chicago Peace.

• progardener
    16 years ago

I'm guessing Chrysler Imperial on the red.

• berrytea4me
    16 years ago

I agree that the red is Chrysler Imperial. I had it, Mirandy, and Mr Lincoln in the same garden in WA. Mirandy is a different red, Mr Lincoln a different form.

I think your last one is either Peace or Chicago Peace. Blossom color on both varies with temperature & acidity of soil. Even the spring & fall bloom colors will be different. I have a climbing Peace that never manages a spring bloom due to winter die-back but this year produced a fall bloom and the color was exactly like that of the rose in your picture. Sorry, no pix of it.

• theroselvr
    15 years ago

For the mini, look at childs play
    Heartbreaker

• angel-face
    10 years ago

#3 looks like floribunda Nicole

• angel-face
    10 years ago

or 'Hannah Gordon', both look similar, but for slight differences which I cannot make out..

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Your #4 looks a lot like CHICAGO PEACE to me. If it has really puckered leaves then it probably is, or at least some relative of PEACE.