Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me understand lime sulfur and dormant oil

Posted by newbieroselover z5a NC Mtns (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 26, 05 at 7:11

Hello everyone, could you please tell me how and when to use LS and dormant oil to prevent blackspot? Is lime sulfur considered organic? Also, some of my roses have retained green leaves and new growth over the winter. Does that make a difference whether I can use these treatments?
Thanks,
Janice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me understand lime sulfur and dormant oil

Calcium poly sulfide (lime sulfur) is considered an organic control. Since horticultural oil is a highly refined petroleum product, you will get qualms about its use by organic purists but it is approved for organic purposes also.

These are products best used in the dormant season, IMO, as their use during the growing season can cause phytotoxicity. They are effective in helping to control fungal problems if overwintering spores are present but as with all topical fungicides the preventative will only last so long. Since black spot is typically encouraged by warmer weather and humid conditions, you will have to look for another treatment option later in the season.

Remove any foliage still remaining on the bushes and clean up any fallen material underneath them and destroy before spraying. Don't worry about buds or new growth - it is still January and these will likely be gone/damaged by cold before it's time to prune anyway. Spray the canes thoroughly and if the area underneath is not heavily mulched, spray the ground as well to get any spores lurking in that area.

Check out the other thread "organic control of BS on Austrian Copper....."

o
RE: Please help me understand lime sulfur and dormant oil

thank you, very helpful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here