Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Midge

Posted by marcindy z5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 18, 06 at 10:29

Hello fellow rose growers. The last year almost put me over the edge... I was about to torch my rose garden, ground and bushes and all. I had a grand total of five blooms from about 40 bushes. For the entire year! The rest fell victim to JB and Rose Midge. Not even the first flush of flowers made it, due to a warm spring that activated the RM weeks earlier than usual. Whichever flower bud made it past the armies of RM was devoured by JB. Though I must say my Milky Spore applications seemed to have dented the population numbers some, not nearly as many beetles as in the years before. Can you believe it, those blasted RM have actually moved the JB problem to second place in my hierarchy of pests. Now, I read every discussion strand on here about RM, but I am still not sure what y'all can recommend that works and doesn't cost you a fortune. What are some tried and true sprays or methods to at least stand a chance for a few blossoms. Heck, I am at the point where I consider a standing order of roses each week from a florist, it would be cheaper and less frustrating... ok I stop venting now. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. BTW, I don't even look at rose catalogs or roses in nurseries anymore... maybe I'll convert my rosegarden into a JB resistant perennial bed...

Thanks!
Marc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Midge

Ive found that spiders do an effective job to keep my rose bushes mostly free from many damaging insects, including the midge maggots on rose tips in the developing cycle before they drop to the ground to pupae. "Plant" more spiders on the rose bushes. Naturally, spiders will populate the bushes where they are not affected by pesticides. BTW, spiders are no match for JB.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 26, 06 at 13:25

I get them here and there and are probably under good control because I do now get a healthy amount of bug eaters. But I still have trouble with my Just Joey. (Are your roses hybrid teas? They seem to like mine better than other roses.) It is not very vigorous and any damage makes it more substantial. I have found spraying with a horticultural oil/insecticidal soap mix on a regular basis will get me blooms.

o

Get some Merit granules and apply it to the beds. It will kill the midge lavaes and cna kill the jap beetles larvae, and help kill the adults by being systemic. It is sold as Bayer Tree and Shrub Insect Control, if you want to spray it or use as a soil drench.

o

What should I do if I keep my roses in my dorm? (I have mini roses from the grocery store.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here