Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Rose Midge

marcindy
18 years ago

Hello fellow rose growers. The last year almost put me over the edge... I was about to torch my rose garden, ground and bushes and all. I had a grand total of five blooms from about 40 bushes. For the entire year! The rest fell victim to JB and Rose Midge. Not even the first flush of flowers made it, due to a warm spring that activated the RM weeks earlier than usual. Whichever flower bud made it past the armies of RM was devoured by JB. Though I must say my Milky Spore applications seemed to have dented the population numbers some, not nearly as many beetles as in the years before. Can you believe it, those blasted RM have actually moved the JB problem to second place in my hierarchy of pests. Now, I read every discussion strand on here about RM, but I am still not sure what y'all can recommend that works and doesn't cost you a fortune. What are some tried and true sprays or methods to at least stand a chance for a few blossoms. Heck, I am at the point where I consider a standing order of roses each week from a florist, it would be cheaper and less frustrating... ok I stop venting now. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. BTW, I don't even look at rose catalogs or roses in nurseries anymore... maybe I'll convert my rosegarden into a JB resistant perennial bed...

Thanks!

Marc

Comments (4)