Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbieroselover

Organic prevention of BS on Austrian Copper and Persian Yellow

newbieroselover
19 years ago

Hello everyone,

I posted this query on the roses forum and thought I'd ask here too. I've ordered two Austrian Coppers and a Persian Yellow to plant together at the top of a hill this spring. Yes, I know they're blackspot magnets. I'd be interested to know anyone's experience in doing preventive organic spraying on these two, i.e. the baking soda and/or milk treatments. One respondent told me these treatments were only for PM, not BS.

Many thanks in advance for any advice or experience you can share.

Janice

aka newbieroselover

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

Gosh, I wouldn't pose questions about organic controls on the regular Rose forum - those folks are seriously into chemicals.

Milk can be a deterrent to any rose fungal disease as it changes the chemical composition of surface of the foliage making it difficult for fungal spores to germinate. Same thing with the baking soda formulation. However, they are only effective if applied before any sign of the disease is evident and you repeat the applications consistantly throughout the season.

Neither will be 100% effective 100% of the time. And black spot, unlike PM, has the ability to become systemic in the plant tissues if not controlled carefully in the previous season, so topical treatments in this case will only have modest results.

My personal choice for organic controls of rose fungal problems is aerobically brewed compost tea. Spraying my roses monthly has been almost completely effective in controlling these problems in my garden. Both nurseries that I have been associated with as well as the test and display gardens of the Seattle Rose Society and the U of W groundskeeping staff swear by this treatment with exceptionally positive results.

• newbieroselover
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That explains the lack of response I got on the roses forum
    :-)
    I also got some helpful feedback from tne antique forum
    Thanks for your suggestions, GardenGal

• JAYK
    19 years ago

newbieroselover,
    Before knocking the Rose Forum posters, I would suggest you read the responses you received, eight of them by the time you posted your last post here. The posters there were very responsive to your question and offered some helpful and sound advice including many organic approaches to your problem.

gardengal,
    RE:"And black spot, unlike PM, has the ability to become systemic in the plant tissues if not controlled carefully in the previous season, so topical treatments in this case will only have modest results."

Would you please direct me to something that backs up the statement that BS is "systemic" in rose plants, such as the details of its vascular movement? Or are you are referring to the fact that BS can infect canes? If so, it would still have to be spread by spores to leaf surfaces in order to spread in subsequent growing seasons.

• newbieroselover
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi JAYK, no disrespect or lack of appreciation intended, just a little joke! I guess I posted my query during a lull in people checking the forum. Appreciate any and all advice I can get on these forums
    Thanks,
    Janice

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor