Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose problems!

Posted by OctopusInc none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 7:46

Hello rosarians,

I have been growing roses from cuttings in plastic cups since July. They are in a mix of compost/manure/sand/perlite with some rose fertilizer mixed in. I have fertilized them infrequently. Last time I fertilized them they developed a 'rusty' effect so I thought I had over fertilized. Now they look downright bad and I'm seeking advice to remedy my rose blues!

They are grown indoors under cfl light 18/6 grow schedule 70 degrees f. I soak them once they dry out.

Any advice or direction to advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose problems!

pic #2

o

and #3

This post was edited by OctopusInc on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 7:48

o

Supply water and mulch sufficient enough; to keep the plants healthy. If you see any rust appearing; just pick the affected leaves off and burn them. The best thing is to spray systemic fungicide like Systhane or Tumblebite; if you see any rust. You need to do this few times at every fortnight.

o

Try to get them outside in full sun and fresh air, if you ever get a warm day. Light and air circulation cured all my outdoor rose problems related to rust and brown spot, so it may be that they could use a change.
Great jobs keeping them going as well as you have since July. :)

o

I'm a little surprised that a systemic fungicide would be considered an "organic" solution. I'm not aware that roses at any stage of growth can be raised indoors; that's not a natural environment for them and would make them much more likely to be prone to disease. Roses need good air circulation for them to do well.

o

Hi Greg: the yellow spot is fertilizer burn from phosphorus in your fertilizer. Young rose can't handle fertilizer. That happened to me when I put fertilizer NPK 2-7-5.

The best way is to take the plant out, and rinse off in a bucket, then put in fresh potting soil without the manure and compost. Manure and compost can burn young plants.

Below is the rose Crimson Glory, as a 1-month band, in MiracleGro Organic potting soil, rated by pepper plant site as the best potting soil for seedlings.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 19:05

o

Wow, that's a fine, healthy-looking plant, Strawberryhill.

o

Thank you, Brandyray! You made my day, I was discouraged when some people who advocate Bayer spray attacked me in the Rose Forum. That's bullying and suppressing the truth.

I'm glad that folks here are open-minded, and care for the environment. Why do some folks advocate chemicals here when this forum is Organic Rose Forum?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here