Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rotted Manure

Posted by tulipsmiles 6 South of Boston (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 10, 10 at 10:38

In an effort to give my roses the best dose of love this spring, I plan on visiting several stables and farms near by, in search of free manure.

I have read that it needs to be "well rotted" before I place around my roses.

Can anyone explain in more detail what "well rotted" means? I've also read that it should be aged, does that mean the same thing?

Also, would you suggest horse or cow manure?

How much do you place around each rose?

I'm just looking to do this the correct way, so any info that would clue me in, would be great!

Thanks,
Tulipsmiles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rotted Manure

Humm you throw it in a well...Oh god that was bad

o

While manure can be a fairly good nutrient source it is not nearly as good as compost would be, therefore manure should be composted with the right ratio of vegetative waste. "Well rotted" manure and aged manure are about the same thing, manure that is allowed to sit around, exposed to the elements, so much of the nutrients the manure once had is lost.

o

I have horses and "rot" or compost the manure (it is combined with bedding. Most manure that you obtain will have some bedding mixed in it). I also have free roaming chickens and they turn the manure piles when they are scratching for bugs. It is "done" when it is black and crumbly and looks like lovely loam. The roses love it. My friend used some and she said her plants looked like they were on steroids. Cow manure isn't as "hot" and probably is less likely to have salt in it. I think well-composted cow manure might be your best bet if you are in a dairy farm area and the manure is composted with straw or hay or some other bedding. The only fertilizer I've ever used on my roses is my composted manure and they are very happy.

o

I also have horses :) and the best manure is when it sits out in the sun for a while (large pasture) and gets dry and almost flakes apart. That's perfect for roses!

If you can't be that picky, just spread out the manure you do find and let it dry in the sun a bit, before you turn it under into the garden. If you're starting a new bed, putting the manure on in the fall and then turning it under in the spring, works really well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here