Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalgal_gw

Organic fertilizer that dogs won't eat

I'd like to start feeding my roses organically this year. I tried Dr. Earth, and everything was going well for about 3 weeks, but then one dog started digging up the mulch and eating the dirt/fertilizer around the plants. I have a "vegetarian" fertilizer from Garden's Alive, but it is 3-1-4 and that doesn't seem like enough phosphorous for roses. (Plus the other dog likes this one better than Dr. Earth). Any suggestions?

Ruth

Comments (6)

• Kimmsr
    18 years ago

1. Fence the dogs out of the rose bed.
    2. Train the dogs to not dig.

• MaryInSpokane
    18 years ago

Please help - I have the same problem. I have lots of rose, shrubs, vines, flowers, etc. My dogs are not left in my backyard, but when I work outside I like them to be around. Can't watch them the whole time though.

• mairenn
    18 years ago

i have done a combo of fencing the plants and training the dogs. i use those little low green wire fence-edgings, only about a foot high, which in themselves aren't enough to keep out a serious or unsupervised dog, but I have trained the dogs to recognize those as "Not here, you idiot!" Judicious use of a watergun while relaxing on the deck, pretending I'm not paying attention:) I also showed them the fence sections before I put them in, and explained that these were a "NO!" It takes a little time, but they do get it.

I also will give the dogs a little bone meal just for them, scattered in the spots they ARE allowed to dig up. They also have "their" mint and verbena patch, cause they love to eat those. Always easier to get somebody doing what you want them to do, instead of stopping them doing what you don't want them to do:)

You can also fertilize with dog by-products (need I be grossly specific?) if you have a dog who won't put his nose where he's been to the bathroom. If, that is, you are not planning to eat your roses, because dog waste can carry parasites. it's very palatable to the roses, however. This will also keep cats from using the bed as a bathroom, and tends to discourage rodents for the same reason. cover it with a little soil so it doesn't discourage you from smelling your roses.

one last note: i found my terrier neck-deep in a flowerbed one day. She was ignoring my frantic yelling, and i was just about to cause her serious bodily harm when she proudly yanked up a vole and presented it to me. talk about your organic controls:)

• seamommy
    17 years ago

I laid those little 12" fence sections down on the ground around my roses and covered them with mulch. The dogs don't bother to try to dig there because of the wires. And the fencing doesn't detract from the esthetics. Seamommy

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Alfalfa tea is working at my house. I had tried an organic fish fert first, and they all dug for it, and one dog broke into the sealed up bag and hoovered up about 2#. Phew!!!!

They are absolutely not interested in alfalfa tea, even with goodies in it like shredded beet pulp and blood meal.

Happy Gardening,
    Michelle

• aureliajulia
    17 years ago

I have always laid fecing directly on the ground around my roses etc. in the same way SeaMommy describes. It's hard to see even close up, and if you don't cover it the dogs dislike walking on bare wire. Very easy.

By the way, I used to be pretty active at the Rosarian, and just got back into it this week. A lot of new people, but the discussions as wonderful as ever. Hello everyone.

Aurelia