Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steveandjoy_gw

Peace never bloomed!!

steveandjoy
18 years ago

I have a Peace rose in my garden (it's been there 2 years) and it has never bloomed. All of the others around have bloomed quite well over the last couple years, but I have never seen not even a bud on the Peace. I have pruned it several times. All it would do is push out more healthy stems. Should I cut it right back, would this help?

Joy

Comments (5)

• Crazy4Roses_Tx
    18 years ago

I have a peace just coming out of dormancy. It seems there is nothing wrong on the outside, seeing as it keeps pushing canes. The food you feed it, what content does it have? Phosphorous is essential in a rose, as it causes it to bloom. I do not grow organically, but I know that a good fertilizer has a 1:2:1 ratio of ingredients. That is, Nitrogen:Phosphorous:Potassium. You might want to examine what you are mixing in your compost (if you compost) and rearrange what you have. I have a fertilizer specifically for making roses push out canes, and then I let Mother Nature do the rest. Now, I shall stop speaking the blasphemy of fertilizer here on the Organic board. Oh, and once you make sure Phosphorous is getting in, it should bloom. If not, prune it back. Remember, when in doubt, whack it off. :)

• steveandjoy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Crazy4Roses - I use Fish fertilizer and seaweed fertilizer. I will have to check to see what nutrients they have in. They worked great for the other roses. On another rose forum someone told me that maybe I have a climbing Peace, which is known for not flowering.

I do blend up bananas (Potassium) and garlic and add as well. I am at the stage of not knowing whether I should pull it up and plant someting else or just wait. Thing is, its been 2 years now, with not even a bud, just branches!!

Joy

• Crazy4Roses_Tx
    18 years ago

Then I must inquire as to how much you water them, and where they would be planted. An adult rose bush can lose up to 5 gallons of water a day through transpire. Or, to be frank, plant sweating. Like I proposed earlier, Phosphrous is key in blooms. Water and food. Yes, they are good. If that doesn't work. Well.......*funeral music plays*

• Crazy4Roses_Tx
    18 years ago

I found this entry here and thought you might like it. If the fact IS that you have a climber, this might help.

'They must not be pruned much in fall or early spring, but if pruning is necessary, after blooming in June. As a rule of thumb, remove the barky old canes at that time to generate more productive, younger canes. If they are pruned heavily at the wrong time, they bloom little and make green growth during the blooming period instead of flowers.'

• steveandjoy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I think the funeral music is playing for my Peace rose. I also have a hansa that had a bad case of some sort of white mealy bug. I've been trying hard to remember if this ever bloomed. I'll keep this one and try to nurture it back to good health. It will be a shame to have to remove the peace as the leaves are perfect, but that's all it's giving me.

Joy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting