Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
They're B-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-c-k!!

Posted by danyoni z10Los Angeles (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 04 at 2:05

Last year the sawfly larvae pretty much decimated my rose bushes. This year I am prepared to fight back. So far I only see the telltale signs on one plant -- a new Chrysler Imperial that I forgot to dormant apray as I picked it up from the nursery after I had already sprayed all of my roses. They are tiny -- I can barely see them. What to do??? Holly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: They're B-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-c-k!!

Horticultural oils and insecticidal soaps can be particularly effective at this stage if you get good coverage. Bt will have no effect whatsoever on sawflies. With snow on the ground here in Maine it's amazing to think that people are getting into gardening elsewhere.

o

Monterey Garden Insect Spray works great. Neem, insecticidal soaps, or other insecticides will not work. Montery has a special compound (spinosad) that controls rose slugs. No other spray I know of has spinosad. I suffered from rose slugs last year and as soon as I found out about this spray and starting using it, the rose slug problem got under control and disappeared completely.

o

Where can you buy the Monterey Spray? I've never heard of it...

o

I was wondering, too, so I found this site. Hope this helps us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monterey Garden Products

o

I'll reiterate the response I put in one thread. Beneficial nematodes specific to sawfly larvae. My thrip and rose slug problem disappeared never to come back again when I used it 2 years in a row.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Rose Growing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here