Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belcantocanto

Rose Help Please..

belcantocanto
14 years ago

Hello,

Last spring/summer was my first experience with gardening...I love it...however, I don't have as much time as I would like - busy with young kids and job. But, nevertheless, am giving it a shot and the kids enjoy it as well. Doing this organically as well.

I have a few questions as we get started this spring. I am in NC (zone 7) and I'm not sure if it is time to get out there and do things yet, but wanted to start planning.

Here we go! :)

KNOCKOUTS

1. When should I begin fertilizing?

2. Should I remove all the brown / miscolored leaves?

3. Should I do any pruning?

CARPET ROSES

These little ones developed black spot really bad last summer and I had a hard time stopping it. I tried homemade organic mixture but I think it was too little, too late. I found an organic spray at the store...but after I got it home and read the label (if you develope breathing problems get help...) I didn't use it and took it back . I don't know if I did the right thing, but I ended up doing a lot of pruning.

Right now they are leafless...but I noticed new growth starting. I also noticed that the stems seem to be a bit spotty too, which I think means the whole plant has black spot.

There is a chance I can take the plants back and they will replace them. If I do it early, I can apply the black spot protection early. Here are my questions?

1. Try and get replacements?

2. Try to nurse the existing plants?

3. If I do that, should I cut them all the way back? (they are pretty small to begin with.

4. When should I begin fertilizing?

5. What is the best way to control black spot?

We also have japanese beattles bad. Is there a good/safe reppelant?

We have a lot of humidity and last year, a lot of rain.

Thanks so much for your help. I REALLY appreciate it!!

-Jennifer

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz